Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Suspension noises...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:11 AM

Car Info: MY2000 RS cpe Sedona Red
Unhappy Suspension noises...

Not sure that this is the right forum to post this, but need advice and to see if anyone else experienced this too. I have a MY00 coupe w/~55K miles and stock suspension and original wheels. Just recently I am hearing a light crunching/scrapping noise from the left front wheel when I have the steering wheel turned to the right and in reverse. Only in Reverse with the wheel turned do I hear this noise. I don't hear or feel any problems when going forward in any other gear. No fluid leaks from the car. Also, no noises when going over speed bumps. I think it maybe the ball joint or possibly a tie, but why in reverse only??? I know that the early subies had problems of wheel bearings wearing out prematurely in the right rear hubs, but don't think this is a wheel bearing. Then again it might. Can anyone help suggest or had experienced anything like this before. Thanks in advance.

- WRX_REED

The Boy Blunder
Old 08-13-2003, 08:27 PM

Car Info: MY2000 RS cpe Sedona Red
Well, if anyone is reading this post. I took some time to run the car in my work's parking lot at night with no obscuring noises to get a better grasp on the noise. The sound is more like straetching rubber than metallic crunching and only occurs while the wheel is turned full right lock in reverse. I suspect more on the halfshaft boot or steering rack than the other suspension items I mentioned earlier. However, I won't really know until I get a chance to look under. Hopefully this weekend I can get a chance to see. Still hoping some one out there has had the same issues or may have a better idea of what it maybe.

- WRX_REED

The Boy Blunder