Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Suspension noise only when backing up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon - Blue
Suspension noise only when backing up.

Hi, first, I did search around the forums for this issue but saw nothing. Lately my WRX wagon (2 years old - all stock) makes a strange noise when I back up - especially backing up any kind of hill - sort of a pop-pop-pop or loud creaking sound from the rear suspension - it is very hard to describe. It sounds very spring-ish - like a spring is somehow stuck/jammed and being released from being stuck as the weight of the car is pushed back (each pop of the pop pop pop sound). Does this make any sense? Like an old rusty garage door spring when you open or close the garage door. Man, sounds are hard to describe - I guess I should have paid more attention in my high school creative writing classes! :-)

It is easily reproduced and of course I am going to take it in to the dealer, but I'd like some information to go in with since they seem to take the most lazy attitude unless you are firm and/or have something to back up your claim. I went through hell with these guys for my clutch grinding (after three visits they finally replaced it with the new clutch parts back in 2002 and the car never shifted better after they worked on it) and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps I am being too cynical about them - Colonial Subaru in Danbury, CT.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:09 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
i get the same thing... havnt really taken the time to look at it... sometime ima get in the trunk while a friend backs up the car to maybe see exactly where its coming from...
Old 07-10-2003, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon - Blue
Okay - well, I'm all stock, but I will ask the dealer next time I am in and let you know what happens.