Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Suspension Advice Needed (on '04 WRX wagon)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Talking Suspension Advice Needed

Evenin all,

I've got my '04 wagon at S-Squared for a Helix Uppipe, silicon Y, full TBE (Greddy I think they're putting in (I wanted a twin tip and for it to be somewhat quiet), lightened crank pulley and a reflash.

Suspension includes 17" Rotas with Ziex's, ALK, steering rack bushings & Whiteline adjustable RSB with mounts and endlinks.

I'm now turning my attention to springs, or spring strut combo, or perhaps G4 coilovers (though I haven't the coin for those G4's right now). Type of driving will be weekend mountain and delta twisties (btw-anyone have any good roads they could share?), attending the driving school at Thunderhill in Oct., and am now looking at the different types of rallies sponsored by SCCA.

Joe at s-squared is recommending the Eibach Prokits on stock struts when they finally come out for the wagon for my type of driving. Someone else mentioned the Eibach's with AGX's. Being an older guy, comfort is important to me, but also want some handling improvement.

I've been reading through some threads and reviews, but I'd really appreciate any additional advice you guys got! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2005, 12:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Well, basically, if you replace your springs, you're going to need to replace your struts sooner than if you left your springs stock, so if you have the money now, it's probably smart to do the struts now. You'll get better performance that way anyhow.

If you're looking for a relatively comfortable and really nice setup for handling, check out the STi pink springs with the KYB AGX struts. I had the STi pinks on my 2003 sedan and they were excellent.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Another option is to buy the springs, run them until you can afford the coilovers, or until the struts give out. Then you sell the springs and get back most of what you spent on them.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
With all the ****ing lowballers on these forums, good luck getting your money back. You could list a $400 set of springs for $200 and everyone will offer you $150.

Some dude on NASIOC tried to trade me an XBOX and some games for my Omoris :rotfl:
Old 07-24-2005, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
save for coilovers (that advice came from a very good source) they told me not to get springs ! cant quite remember who told me that though?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Car Info: silver '02 wrx
I have the springs made by Perrin and AGX's. The ride is certainly harsher than stock but not a ridiculous amount. Setting the AGX's to their softest setting makes a large difference for commuting comfort and setting them for autocross is easy and very effective. I really appreciate that they can be adjusted with so little effort to make such a difference.

In my opinion if you're looking to really race the car then look to coil-overs. They offer infinite adjustment which allows you to put the car on scales and balance the suspension.

my $.02

hope it helps
Old 07-24-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Right now, I'm thinking of saving up for coilovers. One of the reasons the G4's from Whiteline appeal to me is that they say they don't need annual maintenance. S-squared apparently installed some the other day in a customer's vehicle and they thought the street ride wasn't half bad at all.

Guess I'll eat beans, save up for the coilovers, and have an eco-powered Subie from all that gas after awhile. heh heh

Thanks again!