Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Strut Tower Braces

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
mpj performance/gb motorsports has the whiteline bars on their web site (http://www.mpjperformance.com) and i think that the rear wagon bar was listed at $100. call 'em up, i' sure that they can set you up.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Second that motion. MPJ is a great source for parts.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L sedan
Did anybody find out anything on that J-SPEC strut bar?? Is it a 45 dollar hunk of crud?
Old 08-17-2003, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The bar in that auction looks very similar to my Whiteline, but it has no room for adjustment. If it were even slightly misaligned it would not work. Installation of a rear strut brace actually requires disassembling the brace, and the adjustability of the Whiteline or equivalent makes reassembly much easier. I would not recommend it.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L sedan
Sweet, thanx.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Since we're on the topic... Just rear, just front, or both strut tower braces? And, Whiteline or Cusco? What's everyone's suggestions?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:52 AM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
I recently researched this myself...for a sedan the fron end is very stiff to begin with so the strut tower bar will look pretty but isn't necessary unless you're racing the car or regularly abusing it...The rear end has a bit more wiggle so the rear strut tower bar has been recommended pretty consistently to stiffen it up a bit.

But if you want to FEEL a difference then the way to go is to upgrade the rear swaybar from 20 mm to 22 mm (or get the Whiteline adjustable swaybar and put on the middle setting which is 22 mm)...this will improve 'turn-in' feel into corners BUT with a swaybar you pay a price for that gain and that is a little less control at the 'edge' envelope which results in slower acceleration off corners and thus slower exit speeds...there are long posts on this topic in here...

Probably the best initial suspension/handling mod you can do is bigger rims/tires though as the stockers are mismatched for the suspension, and you can affect turn-in without a sway bar by changing front-rear tire pressures, but you can't fix chassis flex with tire pressure so a rear strut tower bar will be somewhat functional, but the fron of the car is stiff to begin with so that's less of a priority...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
Second that motion. MPJ is a great source for parts.
I third that. also look into gruppe-s

It really doesn't matter on the RSB. you really can't go wrong with white line or cusco on those so pick which ever is cheaper.

The FSTB is a different story. try to get something with a "round-er" bar instead on the oval shape because it's a PITA with the AC bracket. I ended up taking off my oval cusco FSTB because of that reason. I noticed a very very small differnce without it on so it was a small loss.

goodluck. eric

BTW the RSTB will take you about an 1hr to a little more time at a casual pace. Look at scoobymods.com for the instructions
Old 09-04-2003, 06:17 AM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
Yes, let us know what you think of the rear strut tower brace...from what I've read people generally notice more of a difference with the back brace...

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Braces