Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

strut bars or anti-sway kit...help!...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 02 white WRX
Question strut bars or anti-sway kit...help!...

sup suby owners.

I'm in a dilemma. Right now, my WRX has Tein S-Tech Springs, and i was looking at either getting Sti Replica strut bars (f & r) or a rear Cusco anti-sway bar.

Which would you all go with and why??

Also, for the strut bars, should i go with both f & r STi replica bars or a front Cusco OS bar or just the Rear Cusco Bar???

Any help would be great asap. Thanks i-clubbers!

Last edited by chyknees; 02-17-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 22
The strut bars really don't do a whole lot you would be better off getting the rear sway if you want better control and less understeer(read: drives more like a RWD).

The front strut bar is primarily for looks but i have heard a few say they noticed a difference, i didn't.

The rear strut bar is another story you may notice a small difference but nothing close to the sway bar.

You also may want to look into stronger mounts and some endlinks as well when you do the rear sway, I've heard of a few people breaking their stock mounts with the stiffer bars. Good Luck-James
Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 22
I guess you get different opinions from everyone, I personally didn't notice much at all from the Cusco front and rear strut bars together. I have 18's and Prodrive springs as well so they may effect the overall feel as well. My buddy did the strut bars on stock tires and springs and said there was a small difference, but not really worth it in his opinion. -James
Old 02-17-2003, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 02 white WRX
thanks everyone for your input. i'm looking into the cusco 22mm rear sway bar and endlinks.

ill let you know how it goes.

jarel
Old 02-17-2003, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by chyknees
i'm looking into the cusco 22mm rear sway bar and endlinks.

The Kartboy endlinks are supposed to be pretty good. They list for $100.

I just installed the Cusco rear anti-sway bar today and have initially set it to the middle adjustment hole (advertised as 48% stiffer than OEM). It's a great improvement and has reduced the understeer that Subaru has built into the OEM suspension. The car feels very neutral to my driving style and I'm looking forward to pushing it a little harder in the wet, just to see if the car will respond with any surprises. I used the factory endlinks, but may eventually upgrade to the Kartboy for more immediate and predictable handling.

The factory service manual advises us that the rear of the vehicle should be jacked off the ground to facilitate replacement of the rear stabilizer (anti-sway) bar. My car has not been lowered so I found that I didn't even have to raise the car off the ground. You'll need 12mm and 14mm sockets, a short ratchet extension, and maybe a 14mm box wrench. I was able to change out the OEM bar for the Cusco in about 35 minutes. It's fairly easy to finagle the bar over the muffler and I got it out from underneath the car by finally angling the right-side end of the bar towards the rear of the car. I had a little bit of trouble getting the right (passenger side) bushing bracket bolt started, due to the placement of an vapor emission canister, but work carefully and it will go back in without cross-threading.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 02-24-2003, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
So do you guys reccomend just changing out the rear sway bar vs both front and rear? Makes sense because of all the stock understeer, but I just wanted to verify this..

Thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by DriftinS14
So do you guys reccomend just changing out the rear sway bar vs both front and rear? Makes sense because of all the stock understeer, but I just wanted to verify this..

Thanks guys!
talk to Mike at MPJ performance...

www.mpjperformance.com

I'd get the 22mm adjustible rear sway bar from Whiteline and some Perrin or MRT solid endlinks...

If you got the cash, pick up the Front endlinks for the front stock bar...

this is the most bang for your buck Buddy.

-Gagan
Old 02-25-2003, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
Sounds good.. Thanks man
Old 02-27-2003, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I got the Whiteline f and r sways(yet to be installed) because I've come to the conclusion that bang for the buck sways will def. outperform noticibly vs. strut bars...plus you can always do those later for that extra little bit! (Remember our frames are like 200% stiffer than the older GC8 bodies So that'll makea HUGE difference too)

WRX34