Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

STI Trailing arms...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:50 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
i have seen the cusco ones. they are very very nice
Old 11-26-2002, 12:22 PM

STi's are the same as stock, but use pillowballs instead of standard bushings...thus, no slop, which means quicker response, better turn in and increased longevity.

There are a few STi kits, none of which are adjustable. There are 3 and 4 pillowball mount sets offered for sedan and wagon..4 mount sets include the rear sway bar endlink, 3 mount sets do not.

The Cusco, JIC, etc units are adjustable, but for castor only. Very expensive, but also very nice pieces.

Adam
www.z1auto.com
Old 01-16-2003, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
Does anybody know how much lighter the STI trailing arms are compared to the stock arms? I mean for the whole rear end(left and right sides).
I just weighted it. Unless the scale is wrong, the STi ones are heavier: 3lb8.9oz stock vs 4lb3.5oz STi for one side. (and my stock had clumps of dirt and grease stuck to it too)
Old 01-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Originally posted by Z1 Performance
STi's are the same as stock, but use pillowballs instead of standard bushings...thus, no slop, which means quicker response, better turn in and increased longevity.
Hello,

Adam, I thought one of the major reasons you never see pillow ball bushings on OEM cars is that they wear out faster than rubber/poly/etc.? Is it just NVH and not durability?

Joel
Old 01-19-2003, 09:52 AM

chome moly trailing arms

Originally posted by stealth-wrx
i made mine out of chromoly so they are very strong. i would probably sell them both for $350-400
What kind of mounting hardware would you use? Pillow ball (this is a spherical joint, correct?) Will it have grease fittings? poly (I especially like a delrin and aluminum combination. Gobal west suspenoin does these for firebirds and impalas and other US Iron, again with grease fittings)
Old 01-19-2003, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
if i were to produce them i would use zerk fittings so you could grease them.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I don't think the STi ones have pillowballs. They just have upgraded bushings. Much stiffer than stock. No PBs.

The CUSCO ones are adjustable and have PBs on everyend (besides one end of the trailing arm).

You really DO want the adjustability. See, as mr. Joel explained it to me, when you lower the car, since the stock/STi trailing arm lenght is fixed, as you go lower and lower, the rear wheel will get push further and further towards the back of the car. At some point, if you lower it enough, you will be pretty much resing the tire on the bumper. Then, your lateral links. As the wheels get pushed further towards the back, the link will be like this \\ instead of \\. Which means that the bushings will already be understress and will not have much play to one side.

With adjustable trailign arms, you can pull the wheel back where it belongs. And, pillow ***** in the lateral links will give the links more function.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Well, the tire will never reach the bumper. It will go further and further back until the trailing arm is flat (parallel to the ground), which will mess around with everything else's alignment. I think Alex meant the lateral links would go from || to \\.

As for spherical bushings, yeah, the FDs use them and the most common thing to replace in the rear suspension after 50k miles or so is those 6 bushings. And $300 is CHEAP. As I recall from my M2 Performance days, the bushings themselves were close to a grand for all 6 of them. Actually, there are 6 of one kind and 2 of another. I think the whole service was around $1500, but it's been a long while and I have a poor memory for such details (ie, I never paid, I just charged people).

Joel
Old 01-19-2003, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
the sti trailing links Defiantly have pillow ***** ( spherical bearings)
Old 07-11-2003, 02:50 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon
hi guys.. i just got my trailing arm and lateral link, whats the most easiest way to install them, i can't even break the bolt loose.. and what about the abs line that is on the trailing arm.. thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 08:41 AM

Joel - I'm not really too hip on the OEM side of things (but I have a few customers who work in R&D for various auto companies - I will ask them today), but I think NVH and sheer production cost are definately the most important elements.

Alex - the STi links are most defiantely PBM's.

As for installation.....I'll tell you this, it ain't fun