Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

STI takeoff's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
STI takeoff's?

Okay this may be a dumb question, but am gonna ask anyways! What exactly is an STI takeoff, and what are the differences between a real STI strut and the takeoff? Are the takeoffs made by any particular shock company like KYB? I have stock 02 WRX struts, how do the STI takeoffs differ/compare to the stock?

TIA
Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by adizon
Okay this may be a dumb question, but am gonna ask anyways! What exactly is an STI takeoff, and what are the differences between a real STI strut and the takeoff? Are the takeoffs made by any particular shock company like KYB? I have stock 02 WRX struts, how do the STI takeoffs differ/compare to the stock?
Not a dumb question.

The term 'takeoff' refers to parts that are taken off of a genuine STi. They are OEM parts. For example, on my WRX I have STi aluminum control arms that are used 'takeoffs' from an STi.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Car Info: GDA
STi "takeoffs" are just OE parts "taken off" of the STi. when people sell STi takeoff suspension, it means the OE strut, spring, with the tophat included (usually).

about the ride quality. i have an '02 WRX Sedan and tried using version 8 struts with Eibach pro (STi spec) springs awhile ago. the car handled wonderfully, but it bounced way too much. commuting to and from work, the road bumps that i never noticed before (880 south) became JARRING with the takeoffs...i noticed that i was mentally and physically bracing for these bumps after 2 days of driving with it. fiddling with teh radio while driving?....not a chance, the car was bouncing too much for me to hit the buttons.

there are numerous reviews from v7 owners trying v8 takeoffs. you can do a search for "takeoffs" on here and on NASIOC. a BAIC member was nice enough to give me a test ride in his WRX with KYB AGX & Prodrive...i changed my suspension that very week.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Thanks guys that helps a lot. Insight from experience = valuable info.! Thanks.

ANYONE ELSE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH "STI TAKEOFFS" AND SPRING COMBOS?