Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

STI Ferodos: squeaky wont go away!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB
STI Ferodos: squeaky wont go away!

I swapped out the oem brembo pads for the ferodos (DS2500 I think)

I noticed the oem pads had a sort of rubber sticker on the back of them. the ferodos dont have anything like that.

anyways now they squeal like nobody's business, but only when I slowly come to a stop. regular driving/braking is fine (great pads too btw).

so I got some of that brake quiet goop from pep boys and glopped it on the back of the pads (between the pad and the shim) followed the directions, let it sit for 10min, etc.

so the brakes still squeal like crazy.. its a horrible horrible sound and I must make it go away. has anybody else switched to ferodos and been able to get rid of the squealing? Anyway I can order just the rubber backs from brembo and stick them on the ferodo pads? think that would help?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Are you sure that you re-assembled everything properly?

Beveling the leading edge of the shoe can help squeal sometimes.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:42 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB
yea I'm certain I put it back together right. the callipers are dummy proof, pretty much two pins and a spring to swap pads and it'll only go back together one way.

are there any side effects from beveling? how much of a bevel are we talkin here?

like from this to this?
|¯¯ /¯¯
| |

or more like this to this?
|¯¯ /¯¯
| /
Old 01-01-2004, 10:37 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Knock the sharp edge off so you have ~1/4" wide flat where the corner was. It dosen't have to be perfect....just lose the edge all the way across....I used a file before I bought a bench grinder. It takes a bit of work, but if it works
Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
yeah try sanding off the edges a little bit, especially for the ones that in the direction of catching the rotors..
might help but sqeaky pads are by its nature, sometimes you gotta live with it or change to the ones that doesn't...
Old 01-02-2004, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It's just the way the Forodos are. Almost every high-performance pad will do that squeal at low speed stops. Even my OE pads with my 4 pots do it sometimes.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
the only way I could get my Axxis Ultimates to stop squeeking is to do the 10 consecutive runs from 60-70mph down to 5mph then do it over and over till the tenth run was through then driving till they cooled off without stopping once through the process.

This transferes a thin coating of pad onto the rotor. in sence seasoning them.

Then to mainain this you have to never stop with your foot on the brakes at a stop. That will warp the rotor.

If you do a lot of stop and go city driving and never heating up the brakes hot you will eventually wear off this coating and they will start squeeking again.