Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:25 AM

STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?

As it says has anyone done it and how easy was it to do.

Do you have any pics of fitting?

Thanks

Ricey
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=brembos+wrx
Old 02-13-2006, 08:06 AM

STi Brembos on WRX

fairly easy bolt-on for front EXCEPT you will need larger wheels to clear the much larger Brembo calipers. (stock 16" wheels will NOT work).

TREMENDOUS improvement in braking from this upgrade (of course, just having upgraded pads makes a big difference)

REAR: not straightforward. You will either need completely new wheel hubs ($$$) or an upgrade mount (from Godspeeed? also $$) to fit the Brembos on the rear. They are not a simple bolt-on replecaement.

I did the front Brembos only on my WRX wagon (w/ SS brake lines) and am extremely pleased w/ the result. Even at triple-digit speeds, those brakes slowit down like tossing out a big anchor. VERY impressive stopping strength and much better ability to handle repeated heavy braking (i.e., shed heat) for track day or spirited mountain roads.

For best result, should (must) also get stainless steel brake lines, DOT4 brake fluid and good pads. Will also require 17" (or larger) wheels that will clear the calipers.

Good luck,
DrNorm
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 PM

Car Info: WRX wagon VS0
I would also recommend the H6 legacy rears to balance out the brake bias. It gets rid of some of the brake-dive.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:57 PM

RE: just putting FRONT Brembos (or BBK) on WRX

I rec'd a PM in f/u to this thread asking the above question. This was my answer:

I installed STi Brembos in front w/ SS lines, Porterhouse pads (street pad) and DOT4 fluid. Rear brakes were left stock except for SS brake lines.

It actually looks just fine and WORKS just great. HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement (prob some of it is pads, too, but no question that 4 large pots can really crank it down). They worked great at a recent track day during 20" sessions w/o any overheating or fade.

Yes, the rears do look a little "lacking" in comparison to the large rotors and gold Brembos up front, but if performance is your goal, it's quite tolerable. IMO, even if you didn't upgrade the front w/ a BBK, the rears would still look "inadequate" b/c of the small rotors and dinky calipers, anyway.

From a practical standpoint, I have been told by a number of people that upgrading the rears is really not necessary, from a functional standpoint, unless you plan to do a lot of track driving (where larger rotor will allow better heat dissipation). An upgraded pad (if even that) is all that is really needed. There are theoretical issues regarding brake bias and balance. I left stock pads (they only had 7k miles on them) and will replace when normal wear requires w/ a better pad. The car stops great and this setup appears to be quite functional.

I do agree w/ wylie that the H6 Legacy rears are a reasonable, less expensive compromise to BBK F&R. Having said that, however, I also have the Perrin PSRS up front which definately reduces front end dive under braking, so that has really not been a problem.

good luck,
norm

Last edited by DrNorm; 02-16-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:40 AM

Car Info: '02 Bugeye
Talking Here are the pics...

Here are pics of my front Brembo swaps. It took 30 min max on each side, and much of that time was spent waiting for the liquid wrench to kick in. The tough part is thinking ahead and purchasing the right wheel combination in order to clear these monsters. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?-oem-suby.jpg   STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?-oem-suby2.jpg   STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?-brembo1.jpg   STi Brembos on to a WRX, whos done it?-brembo2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Car Info: a wrx?
Originally Posted by Subie4me
Here are pics of my front Brembo swaps. It took 30 min max on each side, and much of that time was spent waiting for the liquid wrench to kick in. The tough part is thinking ahead and purchasing the right wheel combination in order to clear these monsters. Good luck

are your rotors on the right side?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Car Info: WRX wagon VS0
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr
are your rotors on the right side?
Yes, the slots are usually cut in the opposite direction of the vanes on the inside.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Car Info: '02 Bugeye
trexx, that was the head scratcher when I did the install. I researched the internet, looked at stoptech's install guidelines, cars on the street with slotted rotors and their slot positioning and this is the correct install like Wylie said.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 AM

Car Info: 1998 JDM STI Sedan
Does anyone know where one can get the mounting brackets for the rear brembo calipers as I have teh breaks but cannot get them n the back without the mounting kit. Even if I can get the spec's for them and I can CNC them up myself.

Last edited by q_boy2; 08-08-2006 at 04:56 AM.