Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Steering screwed up after donuts :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 06:11 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
400 for a new pump... bad times.. is it bad to drive it without power steering for long?
Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 PM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
Nothing bad will happen if you drive without power steering. It is certainly a hassle and you should try to get it fixed under warranty. The WRX has variable power steering which all but turns off at highway speed, so you dont really need it. Where it does work full-on is at a stand-still, like parking, and slow turns. You really feel it then.

Again, if you are under 36K mi you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. Even if it is over 36K, but under 60K you should still give it a try. Otherwise try to get a rebuilt pump, or get yours rebuilt. Should be a bit cheaper than $400.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 08:06 PM

thanks, i did not know you could get a PS pump rebuilt. I will have to look into that if the warr. falls through..THANKS!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:46 PM

"Variable-displacement power-steering pump - Some cars already utilize this pump. It reduces the volume of fluid being pumped (thereby reducing the power being used) at higher speeds and when the power steering is not needed." from howstuffworks.com

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering.htm

What usually burns are seals and rubber gaskets inside the pump so the pump cant provide enough pressure. Replace those and presto! Problem solved! Of course, like any other hydraulic system, it has to be bled. Bleeding the lines and rack, pretty much replacing all of the fluid, would be needed to get all of the overheated fluid and any rubber bits and junk out of the system.
Attached Thumbnails Steering screwed up after donuts :(-steering-pump-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by Maniac; 12-26-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:46 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I will make a suggestion.

Wash your car before you take it in for warranty work. Mud caked in your fender wells and in your suspension, and on the underbody of your rex will make them think twice about fixing anything. They will say you were offoading, and claim abuse.

Wash your rex!!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:17 PM

VERY good point, t-wrexxx!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM

that would definatly make sense... there is a lot of mud on the car right no
Old 01-03-2004, 09:43 PM

mr. m!
Here is a link to a super-informative pdf that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about power steering pumps, from working principle to troubleshooting
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/m1538s.pdf
NOTE! This is not a Subaru pump, but it is a pretty good representation of a typical hydraulic PS pump.
Most automotive PS pumps are of vaine type, so, I believe, is Subaru's. Holding the wheel at full lock for a prolonged period of time makes the pump work hard, at high pressures. High pressures cause buildup of heat, which in turn does bad things i.e. overheating, warping of parts, etc. If permanent damage occurs from the heat, the pump's parts are no longer internally sealed which causes pressure leaks. If any internal gaskets are blown or/and any parts are damaged because of overheating they have to be replaced. There are rebuild kits available for most pumps, and there are remanufactured (overhauled) pumps available as well. Hope this answers your question and clarifies things a bit!

Keisatsu, did you get your steering fixed yet? Let us know whats up.

Last edited by Maniac; 01-03-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 AM

Car Info: civic
Originally posted by Uncle Scotty
You may have burned out your power steering pump by holding the steering wheel at full lock for too long.

Happens every year that 'kids' doing donutz burn up the pump by holding full lock....can't hold full lock or POOF...blown PS pump
i think that would most likely be it, since the fuel pump is under stress when u hold like that during donuts.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by AzN121184
...the fuel pump is under stress when u hold like that during donuts.
Huh?! FUEL pump? I think you ment to say Power Steering pump..