Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

steering rack bushing installation...AAAARRRRGG!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 07:29 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
steering rack bushing installation...AAAARRRRGG!

this afternoon i tried to install a set of Noltec steering rack bushings into my WRX in the hopes of firming up the steering feel in the car. i used the instructions here:

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/m.../steering.html

take particular note of the section:
Once you have the stock bushing out, replace it with the hardened bushing that is more rounded in shape. Open up the cut in the new one, slip one edge over the main tube, and "roll" it around the tube. It should go right around with a bit of coaxing.

if by coaxing he means "epic wrestling match under a car using only the very tips of your fingers and teeth" then i guess it's correct.

to make a long story short, i didn't get the damn bushings installed (i gave up on the passenger side bushing and put the stocker back i). does anyone have any tips from when they've done this, or is this a 'no one does it because it's too freakin' hard' mod?
Old 07-05-2003, 11:42 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Take it to MPJ- they'll install it cheap.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:07 AM

yeah, that's kinda what i've been thinking. maybe i'll have them do my ALK while i'm there too. they can probably do it in about a third of the time that it would take me.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:43 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
use a hair dryer or heat gun to get the bushing nice n warm, then throw it on there. also, some soapy water might help.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:20 AM

use a hair dryer or heat gun to get the bushing nice n warm, then throw it on there. also, some soapy water might help.
i thought about using something like dish soap or grease to lubricate the bushing, but figured it would make it too hard to grip and pull through. i hadn't thougt of the heat gun though. if i can't get to MPJ to get them installed, i may try that.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza 2.5 RS Midnight Black Pearl
Dude...tha Passanger side one is SOOO EASY. I did that in like 15 mins.

If you think that one is hard...then the Drivers side you will NEVER GET DONE. The Driver's side took me about 2 hours to get in.

Are you sure your putting the correct one in? Did you remove the mount completly and slide it over to the side? Did you cut the little nub off? Pull on the rack a little, it should come down pretty easy. Seriously...the Pass. side one is a very easy one to do in comparison to the drivers side.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:06 PM

Dude...tha Passanger side one is SOOO EASY. I did that in like 15 mins.

If you think that one is hard...then the Drivers side you will NEVER GET DONE. The Driver's side took me about 2 hours to get in.

Are you sure your putting the correct one in? Did you remove the mount completly and slide it over to the side? Did you cut the little nub off? Pull on the rack a little, it should come down pretty easy. Seriously...the Pass. side one is a very easy one to do in comparison to the drivers side.
yes, i was putting the correct one in on the passenger side. yes, i completely removed the mount. yes, i cut the little nub off. however, pulling on the rack didn't help in the least. neither did swearing at it for that matter.