Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Spring / Strut Combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Spring / Strut Combo

I am in the market for new springs. After reading countless threads and info across the subaru boards i decided to start my own thread. I am looking for a decent drop but not at the expense of handeling. I am looking at Prodrives, Whitelines, GF210's, and Swift. This will be for my daily driver which brings up my question. I have been looking at upgrading the struts but havent really found a lot of info on it. Its just mostly about the springs. So far ive seen the KYB AGX but 600$$ is way to much. Am i going to have to worry about my stock struts dying? I need a reliable car.

EDIT: Also should i invest in rear camber bolts with new springs?

Last edited by tschida; 07-12-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
KYB AGX are the best for your $$$ - A little pricy cause theyre the adjustable ones i think? But struts are pretty expensive - but not compared to coilovers $1k+
Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I had prodrive springs and kybgr2 struts on my old wrx wagon, the g2 struts are slightly stiffer than stock and are a good economical upgrade. They aren't adjustable but they handled well and the drop looked good with the prodrives.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
I had prodrive springs and kybgr2 struts on my old wrx wagon, the g2 struts are slightly stiffer than stock and are a good economical upgrade. They aren't adjustable but they handled well and the drop looked good with the prodrives.
Correct me if im wrong but it seems like the gr2s are around 60$ a corner. Would getting STi struts be worth it? I cant seem to find a price on them.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by tschida
Correct me if im wrong but it seems like the gr2s are around 60$ a corner. Would getting STi struts be worth it? I cant seem to find a price on them.
Doesn't KYB make the shocks on the Subaru's?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Yeah the OEM struts on my 07 were marked with something like 'KYB manufactured for Subaru'.

FYI, you can find KYB AGX's new on eBay for about $500 shipped.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 PM

I pretty much decided on Swift springs and maybe some KYB GR2's or used AGX's. My minimum wage job doesn't give me a lot of options haha.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Remember to include an alignment check in your budget - unless you are planning to do this yourself.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lorry
Remember to include an alignment check in your budget - unless you are planning to do this yourself.
Yeah i got that in my budget. Is it cool to get an alignment at any shop or should i go to certain ones? I saw autoinnovations in milpitas mentioned in another thread.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Auto Innovations!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
If you can mark where your camber bolts are, especially on the front struts, and clock then the same way when you put the new struts on, you wont need an alignment right away. There's marks on the camber bolts & the struts (oem & kyb) for alignment. PM me if you want a PDF emailed to you about how to do the swap(s).
I really wouldn't advise buying used struts, no telling if there were put on/taken off properly and/or abused. I'm all about saving $$ on parts but used struts is something even I wouldn't jew on.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza WRX
you can get the agx's or the gr2's at gruppe-s for a decent price. agx's - $499 + tax free shipping or gr2's $299 + tax free shipping.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Dnayukns
KYB AGX are the best for your $$$ - A little pricy cause theyre the adjustable ones i think? But struts are pretty expensive - but not compared to coilovers $1k+
If KYBs are $600 now, they're definitely NOT the best bang for the buck. For $600 you can get Koni Yellows, which are way better than KYBs, allow you to adjust ride height to whatever specs you want, and still keep their lifetime warranty. Just a quick 10 second search came up with: http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...roductid=16807

To the OP, the best part about doing a spring/strut combination is that, if you do it right, you can upgrade in parts instead of buying an expensive coilover system all at one time. Prodrive springs were made to work with the stock struts, and I'm sure Cobb and Swift as well (though I'm not 100% positive on the latter two). So, if you only have the money for springs, you can get those, and they should work fine without causing excessive harm to your shocks.

Now, for shocks, a lot of people will recommend KYBs. They used to be ~ $400 for all 4 corners when I was modifying my WRX, which was a great price for the shocks, so the $200 price jump is pretty drastic and makes them not worth it for me. For $600, I'd recommend getting Koni Yellows as Koni makes a much better quality part. Also, atleast when I was reading up when I was swapping my suspension, KYB has a ride height limit for drop or lift to keep their warranty, while Koni has no such restriction.

I don't think you need any camber bolts or plates with new springs. I've lowered my car to have about 2 finger width of wheel gap, and I don't need camber bolts.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Ive decided to get either

A. Just Swift springs

or

B. Swift springs + KYB GR2's.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Car Info: CGM 06 WRX Wagoon
Gr2's aren't enough of an upgrade from stock. either go with agx, koni inserts or d-specs.

Quick Reply: Spring / Strut Combo