Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

spring recommendation for stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:01 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
progress

Ipurchased my Progress springs on line from Asylummotorsports (asylumms.com I believe) for 179 delivered but Options and many others have them to for about the same price.
Price was not my main concern but ride height was. When you go from a comfort created spring to a sport type some harshness is to be expected , but I can swear to you that I have not had any complaints as to ride comfort from my lower back or my wife in the back!I believe any spring manufacturer like Eibach , H&R , Tein and Progress all have a comparable product after all there is no magic ingredient in spring manufacture , shot peened steel and powder coating can't realy be changed around to much.Though Tein offers different levels of stiffness...It comes down to ride height as a final choice.
I realy like Progress' ride height and the added feel of a low stance and no bouncy bouncy like the old days when to lower a car you hit the springs with a torch!...I am dating myself there!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
Any one have a link to a place I cane buy Prodrive springs on-line. I can't seem to find them.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 03 pearl black wrx
Hi, cohlineman thats a very nice wrx you have. Im intrested in getting Progress springs soon, but i plan to keep my stock shocks. Are you running the stock shocks? If so, for how long? Do you think the stock shocks will prematurely go bad faster? I like the price they cost 150 at assylums. Did the camber get corrected using the stock bolts? Assylums said the drop is 2in, is that a typo. Heres a link for everyone to check out the springs review. http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=927 I hear they are meant for the stock shocks. Thanks alot for any helP

Last edited by teck7droid; 01-28-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:36 PM

Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Yes they are!

Progress and for that matter all the other spring manufacturers engineer and produce springs specificaly for stock struts.Do not be strayed by the problems had by few or the claims of stock struts not lasting with springs. Sure after market struts may be stiffer and beefier but for most people interested in looks and better handling a stock strut and Progress spring ( or insert your spring of choice here) combo is the shizzle.If you're going to the track on a regular basis then you realy should step up to stiffer struts or coil-overs.
Since they were designed for direct replacement allignment is no problem, no need for camber kits.Progress claims a 1.8" drop and I can atest to that , Asylumms probably just rounded up.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 PM

Thanks, I dont do any real track racing. Just the occasional spirited driving every now and then. I really dont like the fender gaps. Im sure lowering it 1.8 will really make it EYE candy along with better handling. Do you still have alot of fender gap? Did you get any more oversteer or understeer? How long have u had the springs installed? Is the rear going to be lower then the front still? I will buy them soon, just saving for the allighment and install money. Ill be sure to post up some pics! Thanks alot !
Old 01-30-2003, 08:28 AM

You'll love Them

I ended up wiyth about 1" of fender gap and the front end is no longer higher than the rear , there seems to be an actual slope downward now making it much more appealing. Lowering springs will take care of understeering , but this car had very little to begin with IMO , I have noticed no oversteering at all , not to mention the disappearance front en lifting and very little nose dive during braking compared to stock. All in all the only problem you'll have is building a little 3" tall wood ramp to get your car up over your floor jack!
I had them proffesionaly installed about four months ago and allignment done safter three days to let the springs settle (opinions vary on that time frame).Ask around for allignment shops that have "drive over" allignment instead of "drive up" racks to avoid making an appointment and having to cancel when they tell you they can't get your car up on the rack!
Good luck with your project , it will never be your last!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:55 PM

Wow the car must be pretty darn low off the ground if the floor jack cant fit. How high off the ground is the car with the progress springs? Did you have any bad experiences going up drive ways, or speed bumbs? *ouch*i already orderd the springs i hope they get here soon. Im thinking about installing them and allighning them the same day, because the shop up my street makes cheaper deals like that. Is their any consequences for not letting them "settle in"? Sorry with all the questions, my dad loves the rex and doesnt want anything bad to happend with it *heheh*
Old 02-01-2003, 09:33 AM

No worries

I don't think there is any problem whatsoever not letting the springs settle , some folks just do that.
Now , you will be lowering the car and that does bring with it new responsibilities.Whatch your driveway approaches (never attack straight on) and yes a standard 2.5 ton floor jack will no longer fit with out starter ramps. All cars lowered from stock experience these things and you must adjust. I must be extra carefull with my diffuser sticking out an extra three inches but I pay attention to my surroundings and choose my paths and have not had problems , knock on wood!

Quick Reply: spring recommendation for stock shocks