Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Retarded Spring set up question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Retarded Spring set up question???

OK maybe this sounds retarded, but I had enough beers its sounds like a legit question.

SO I have cobb springs on my car. I love em. BUt the other day i took some folks from work to another store to help out, and my mud flaps dragged almost the whole way.

usually its just my son and maybe my mini dachshund in the back, barely any weight

SO I imagine that this winter going to the snow will be a similar problem. Now i do like the drop I have, especially in the front, but would i suffer any issues if i put the stockers back on in the back. With the stockers on, Once I get my fat *** buddies in the back it will not drag the mudflaps all the way to tahoe and it will look like there is cobbs on all 4 corners, but when my 30 lbs son is in the back it might look strange and I wonder how it will handle... Any input would be appreciated.

And just to clarify, I will not be tracking the car like this. just daily driving and snow trips just til snow season is over. oh yeah, 2006 wrx wagon...
Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
With stock springs in the back, I would imagine the car would understeer more due to the softer spring rate. On the other hand, the car will have a bit of a rake to it, which generally induces a bit of oversteer, so it may balance out and handle ok for the most part. I still wouldn't recommend doing any really spirited driving like that.

-- Ed
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
With stock springs in the back, I would imagine the car would understeer more due to the softer spring rate. On the other hand, the car will have a bit of a rake to it, which generally induces a bit of oversteer, so it may balance out and handle ok for the most part. I still wouldn't recommend doing any really spirited driving like that.

-- Ed
Well thats what i saw saying, I wouldnt be doing ANY spirited driving like that. I just need more support for the 1 time of year I have any additional passangers (i.e. my fat *** friends) in my car. you put three 200 lbs dudes in the back, it gets a little low in the water. The other alternative is taking my mudflaps off, but that would go against the whole reason I put them on...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Holy crap, 3 full sized adults in the back of a subaru impreza wagon? That would SUCK.

I have stock wrx front suspension and STI struts and springs in the back, and I've had it like this for about 4 months now. It'll be a little bit weird for a while but you will get used to the way the weight shifts around.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
More importantly, if the only thing you're dragging is mudflaps, and you're not running into clearance issues with the tires..... move the mudflaps up, or just live with it. I drag mudflaps everywhere - it's what happens when you're low, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by sybir
More importantly, if the only thing you're dragging is mudflaps, and you're not running into clearance issues with the tires..... move the mudflaps up, or just live with it. I drag mudflaps everywhere - it's what happens when you're low, but it doesn't hurt anything.
i see what yoru saying, but only during the winter will i be an issue, i dont wanna put new holes in the mudflaps, because when i dont have anyone in the car they will look to high up

Holy crap, 3 full sized adults in the back of a subaru impreza wagon? That would SUCK.
yeah tell me about it, my other buddies either dont have good snow cars, or my one buddy that does have a subaru, is afraid to take it to the dirty snow, and when he does, he always breaks his axel clamp
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Let the flaps drag, it makes them super effective. My flaps will drag on occasion, I don't give a ****. I would be worried about other clearances though like what sybir said. Stuff like the exhaust, rear diff, inner fenders, ect.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
Mudflaps are self-adjusting.. If you just leave them alone - they will "Adjust" themselves to the optimal length.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Car Info: Foz
Originally Posted by Gancherov

hahaha yea that would suck!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning

-- Ed
I have the set up he's talking about, cobbs with stock shocks in the front and stocks in the back. the set up does clear up the big front wheel well hole. the ride feels a lil mushy, soft in a way, almost like an oldschool caddy.i noticed that the steering feedback is much less, sometimes i wonder if my tires are flat, but they are fine. I been driving the car for about 2-3 weeks now, havent done much spirited drving cause im waiting for a dry sunny day. Maybe its me getting used to the different weight distribution, or the fact that I havent pushed it and dont know its limmit, but I dont feel that comfortable with the set up. Im thinking of putting the cobbs on all fours n see what the difference is, then decide to keep them or not. more likely, I will need STi shocks to be used with the cobb springs.. any info will help.