Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Is a rear strutbar worth it on a wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Is a rear strutbar worth it on a wagon?

Is it really worth the money? Most people who did this mod did a rear sway bar at the same time and are unsure how much of the result was the strutbar, if any. Anyone out there who did the mod either after a rear sway bar or before (don't know why you would do this but anyway) and if so how much improvement did you see?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:04 PM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I use my rear strut tower bar as an atachment point for the baby seat. I didn't like running the LATCH strap to the back of the car, took up too much storage space.

Last edited by spelk3; 12-31-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by spelk3
I use my rear strut tower bar for as an atachment point for the baby seat. I didn't like running the LATCH strap to the back of the car, took up too much storage space.
hehe, I see a $150 baby seat tie down, alas I have no baby seat, or baby, that I know of, so that's not gonna help me...
Old 12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Originally posted by spelk3
I use my rear strut tower bar for as an atachment point for the baby seat. I didn't like running the LATCH strap to the back of the car, took up too much storage space.
one of the reasons i'm getting one, but to answer your question...it helps a little better than the front bar..definitely a rear adj sway bar would make a difference along with the rear, from what i have heard, let me know how it goes (in the market of upgrading as well)
Old 01-02-2004, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
The fastest ESP guy here in Hawaii had a rear strut bar in his wagon.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:12 AM

Car Info: AW '03 wagon
i installed a rear strut bar on my wagon, and it has made a vast improvement during cornering. It kinda acts like the sedans rear window/steel brace since wagon does not have that type of support. Definitely worth the install.

Next I installed the sedan 20mm rear sway on my wagon, and I can say it helped during high speed lane change and a bit on cornering.

Hank
Old 01-03-2004, 06:56 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
On a wagon, the Whiteline adjustable bar may be the best one...crank that thing TIGHT...I have(one of the first mods I did) one on my sedan and one of the jamb nuts backed off and it got loose(on a BADLY washboarded gravel road)...and as soon as I got back on pavement, I could tell that something was wrong/loose....
Old 01-03-2004, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
Yes it helps a little. and you can bungie stuff to it like groceries, or a sub.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
the rear tower bar for the wagon was worth it. i had the whiteline yellow end one and it held my sub in very well with bungees. easy removal for the track.

on a turn it gave the feeling of 2 wheeling vs 3 wheeling. if you can understand what i was trying to say. i guess it kept the rear cabin from twisting and giving that sensation.

when you tighten the nuts on the shaft(what the heck did i just type) put tape on the shiny nuts before you wrench on them to protect them from scratches.

b