Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

RallyX suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 AM

Car Info: 02 rally machine
RallyX suspension setup?

me=

I wanted to know what setups you guys are running on your cars for rally cross and even for weekend play in the dirt.

struts, springs, swaybars, coilovers? etc. what's working good for you?

hoping to keep this structured a bit like this;

year/model
suspension...
How you like it?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM

02/WRX

BUMP springs, with BUMP struts, bump'n end links, and some bump away bars.

I like this setup alot, ive BUMPed it on the track and on the trails for a about a BUMP now.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
stock to start off....... what other mods do you have? as it may change what class you go into.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: every subaru ever
Tokico d-specs are a good way to go for rally-x. a lot of guys/gals run these with OEM STi springs with great results. check turn-in-concepts...they've got a good amount of experience working with rally-x guys.

04 sti take off struts are a good cheap option.

- andrew
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by bigcale
stock to start off....... what other mods do you have? as it may change what class you go into.
Currently im running sti struts and springs, im hoping to go to an adjustable strut in the future. As for what class im in, that i dont know as i haven't had the chance to go to an event yet. these questions are more for my weekend play on the trails, but i hope to attend some events soon.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering
Tokico d-specs are a good way to go for rally-x. a lot of guys/gals run these with OEM STi springs with great results. check turn-in-concepts...they've got a good amount of experience working with rally-x guys.

04 sti take off struts are a good cheap option.

- andrew
thanks for the info on the Tokico's ive been looking into those, as i put above im running sti take offs already, but looking for something with adjustability.

Any suggestion for sway bars and other various mounts/bushings?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM

+1 on the tokico's
if you want to adjust stuff look in to some custom spings with sleves from ground control....
If you have the $$$$$ though DMS 50mm or Tien gravel. Also if you do go to rally cross in this area you should be in modified 4 wheel class because of the STI takeoffs. As far as sways I have heard many different takes but the prevailing thoughts are stay stock and get some endlinks or remove them entirely, you want to maximize the articulation off road not limit it. I actually have a cusco rear sway for street and switch back to my stocker for rally cross, mostly because the modified class is very competitive and I don't want to foot the bill for a set of snow tires. A strut bar in the front will also help. For more info you may want to check dirtyimpreza.com, specialstage.com, and if you want to go to races formularallyx.com.
Good luck, hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
JDM STI Pink Springs and JDM STI Pink Struts along with a cusco rear sway bar 24mm
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM

+1 on the tokico's
if you want to adjust stuff look in to some custom spings with sleves from ground control....
If you have the $$$$$ though DMS 50mm or Tien gravel. Also if you do go to rally cross in this area you should be in modified 4 wheel class because of the STI takeoffs. As far as sways I have heard many different takes but the prevailing thoughts are stay stock and get some endlinks or remove them entirely, you want to maximize the articulation off road not limit it. I actually have a cusco rear sway for street and switch back to my stocker for rally cross, mostly because the modified class is very competitive and I don't want to foot the bill for a set of snow tires. A strut bar in the front will also help. For more info you may want to check dirtyimpreza.com, specialstage.com, and if you want to go to races formularallyx.com.
Good luck, hope that helps.
im in modified class with my suspension. once i get my 15" rims im buying rally tires and going to R4 class..
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
you don't want to go with anything TOO stiff because it'll send you flying off of bumps (not literally, but you'll have less traction coming off of them) however too soft might get too sloppy. I'd stay stock for your first few events and see where the car needs improvements (ie: is it understeering? oversteering? not very responsive?)
Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
you don't want to go with anything TOO stiff because it'll send you flying off of bumps (not literally, but you'll have less traction coming off of them) however too soft might get too sloppy. I'd stay stock for your first few events and see where the car needs improvements (ie: is it understeering? oversteering? not very responsive?)
my car is hard as a rock lol
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
grassroots motorsports did a good write-up on a rally-x (later changed to stage rally) build, try to track it down if you can.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM

I want to thank you guys for all you feedback, all this information is very useful to me.

Thanks.

and keep it coming if anyone has any more info.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
im in modified class with my suspension. once i get my 15" rims im buying rally tires and going to R4 class..
Yeah thought about getting a set for both r4 and 4 mod, but the cost is prohibitive at this time. I was up at the fairgrounds in Angels Camp today checking stuff out it looks cool, hope I can make the date.
Back on topic though I have that subaru tuner book and it has a section in it about rally cross prep and most of the stuff above is reiterated in it as well. But by and far the best thing you can do is practice, learn what your car wants to do in the dirt, experience is a huge equalizer in the dirt. Prairie City down the hill has some good places and it is only $5 to play as long as you want.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Yeah thought about getting a set for both r4 and 4 mod, but the cost is prohibitive at this time. I was up at the fairgrounds in Angels Camp today checking stuff out it looks cool, hope I can make the date.
Back on topic though I have that subaru tuner book and it has a section in it about rally cross prep and most of the stuff above is reiterated in it as well. But by and far the best thing you can do is practice, learn what your car wants to do in the dirt, experience is a huge equalizer in the dirt. Prairie City down the hill has some good places and it is only $5 to play as long as you want.
Yeah ive been looking into that book, im thinking about picking up a copy.

and ive been out to prairie city hundreds of times in trucks and motorcycles but not yet in my car. hopefully soon.

Quick Reply: RallyX suspension setup?