Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Quick ratio steering (aftermarket options?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 04:09 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Quick ratio stearing!!!!

check this out!
http://www.landefabrication.com/products.html
I know where my next $500 is going!
does any one have any expearence with this company?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
quick steEring racks

Origami posted by cudaeh
does any one have any expearence with this company?
You have more choices than that one company.

There is Crucial Racing, which is an innovative company offering well-engineered pieces for Subaru models. Their offering utilizes a steering reducer to achieve a faster steering ratio.

Rocket Rally now offers what was formerly known as the Rev-Lab Quick Rack. This is a stout piece, re-engineered like a factory steering rack and tested in competition by Patrick Richard, principal driver for Rocket Rally.

Talk to these companies to decide what will work best for you. Personally, these racks may be too fast for my driving style in a car that's used as a daily driver, often in rush hour traffic, but there are people that use them with no problems. For track (road course) or autocross, they would be outstanding. Be aware of the 'sneeze factor' when selecting a rack with a very fast steering ratio. I would like a rack with a ratio between 13:1 and 14:1 but these wouldn't be as advantageous on the track.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
$500 well might be worth in now instead of the $1300 for the rev lab
Old 06-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Gary Sheehan's USTCC car also used a Rev-Lab steering rack. I know he used to rave about the quicker ratio and the feel it had.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i dont want to sneeze and change three lanes
Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 AM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by sigma pi
i dont want to sneeze and change three lanes
No, it's not like that.

I't by far, the most fun handling mod I've ever done.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by misterx
No, it's not like that.

I't by far, the most fun handling mod I've ever done.
Ditto.

Great for track days and I know a couple of guys use it for auto-x too. If you plan on doing any open track days...it just rocks! Before the rack I would get all twisted up turning the steering-wheel because there were a few corners that required more than one rev of the wheel. So unless you take your hands off the wheel (hand-over-hand)(which my instructor told me not to do) or slip the wheel you were just doing much more work to turn the car.

Now with the rev-lab setup, you just turn the wheel a bit. It's very very nice! I would say that for daily you just have to be carful while taking off-ramps fast that you don't over steer the car by putting in to much steering input. But for normal driving (freeway or street) it's fine. Plus when you add the whiteline steering rack bushings the wheel stays right in the middle and doesn't wander around all loose.

LB
Old 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM

MY04 STi rack

I have a question...I know this thread is more specifically about aftermarket steering (columns or racks), but I was wondering if anyone could give me confirmation of this. I have an MY04 RS which has the 16.5:1 ratio (same as MY04 WRX...I'd imagine the same part number). The MY04 STi has a 15:1. Would it be a straight rack-for-rack swap into the RS or is there speed-sensitive crap, pump differences, etc? I just want my steering to be more immediate...too much play in the 16.5:1 I think. I've heard stiffer steering bushings help..but I doubt it is enough. My old car was a Miata and I loved the immediacy of its steering, just like to get the 3000lb beast closer to that :-)

I called Subaru and the STi steering rack itself is about $600...for a piece of production hardware which I prefer.

Last edited by pbdavey; 07-07-2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 PM

rev-lab makes rack, this one is a column
I like the rack idea better
Old 07-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by pbdavey
I have a question...I know this thread is more specifically about aftermarket steering (columns or racks), but I was wondering if anyone could give me confirmation of this. I have an MY04 RS which has the 16.5:1 ratio (same as MY04 WRX...I'd imagine the same part number). The MY04 STi has a 15:1. Would it be a straight rack-for-rack swap into the RS or is there speed-sensitive crap, pump differences, etc? I just want my steering to be more immediate...too much play in the 16.5:1 I think. I've heard stiffer steering bushings help..but I doubt it is enough. My old car was a Miata and I loved the immediacy of its steering, just like to get the 3000lb beast closer to that :-)

I called Subaru and the STi steering rack itself is about $600...for a piece of production hardware which I prefer.
There's at least one person here who put an STi rack into his RS. IIRC, he had to open it up and change the pinion, but other than that it worked fine. As far as how it drives, my first choice would be a Rev-Lab rack, followed by the 1.5:1 quickener, but an STi rack is still an improvement.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:00 AM

San, you're going to LOVE this part, guaranteed. If you don't, I'll refund the profit out of the price. the rest of the parts you ordered have shipped.

Last edited by misterx; 07-08-2005 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 AM

who's done it?

BAN_SUVS,

I was wondering if you could direct me to whomever has done this conversion, I'd be very interested in messaging him and finding some more info on what he did. Also, any model year dependancies (MY05 WRX and STi is slightly different than MY04 STi from what I've read) that he may know of.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 PM

Is this good enough? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1#post10451121
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

An update to this thread: Crucial Racing appears to have dropped their replacement column from their line-up. A poor seller apparently.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX STi Blue/Silver
Originally Posted by pbdavey

The bushings eliminate the 'play' or looseness in the steering wheel, which should do what you want. The rack just makes it so that the wheels turn more for a given amount of steering wheel input. Bushings are much cheaper, and easier to put in. Try them first before spending all that money.

Quick Reply: Quick ratio steering (aftermarket options?)