Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

PRAXIS Air ride Vs. Prodrive Active Shock Tech.??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
PRAXIS Air ride Vs. Prodrive Active Shock Tech.??

So who Has an oppinion or some insite on this question? there both about the same price i am not sure if the prodrive shock is even possible to purchase yet. The PRAXIS has been out for a little while now. So if some one had the around 3000 dollars to spend on one of these "Super Suspensions" as i like to call them, which one is really worth the money??
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Depends on how big of a fan of airbags you are...
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
What do you want to do with the car?

For a car that will be tracked, there are better options for the same price. Personally, I don't like the fact that the Praxis uses a compromise alignment system. That is, you have to set your alignment for the mode you use the most. Then when you switch modes, your alignment ends up being slightly off - not the thing you want if you're going to use it on the track.

For a car that won't be tracked, I don't know why anyone would want the system. You can accomplish ride height changes and stiffer suspension for much less money.

As for the Prodrive, it sounds nice, but who knows when it will be available.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey there

i guess i can think of a few reaons you might want the praxis adjustability.

1 if you are like me and live in an area where you get a large amount of snow, the ability to raise the car for clearance is plus. for that reason alone i have always liked the idea of adjustable coilovers or adjustable strut heights.
downside, as you said, is improper alignment(sp?). i guess i could deal with slightly off alighnment in that situation, but that is me....

2 for the same reason above, it is also nice to be able to lower the car when you go to the track or autocraoss without having to jack the car up, change your height, get it aligned(sp?), and then head out for a day of racing.
downside, again, is not so perfect alignment, but a happy medium.

3 if you dont race the added stability of the "race" mode might be kinda fun in the back roads. SSC got almost 1g with that set up. that is pretty cool #'s in my book. it might not feel as fun as an EVO, but it certainly is hangin with one at that point.

anyway, my point is that i kinda like the praxis for what it is. it appeals to me for the adjustability, and performance. because you can just push a button and change the heigh makes it appealing for old guys like me. i simply don't have time anymore to tinker with my car evey weekend. in the past i used to set my coilover height and never touch it again. too much work resetting it, and too expensive to rere-align each time. i totally agree there are better AND cheaper ways to accomplish better handling. but to answer the original poster, yes, for me, the praxis might be worth it.

just my 10 cents

josh
Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 PM

praxis

Hi,

We have had a WRX with a praxis system for 34K miles and 50-70 track / auto cross days . It is an excellent suspension system for amature racers. Here is a link
to the praxis site http://www.praxissystems.com . You may want to look into the suspension geomtery. Some people might think of such systems as air bags, but they are the furthest thing from a typical air bag suspension. All high end luxury cars use air suspension to find that balance between comfort and control. Also there is no suspension system out there that will change spring rates from inside the vehicle.

I will how ever agree that this is in no way a pro race system.

cheers
sam
Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 AM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Prodrive has a pretty proven track record when it comes to designing stuff for cars and winning. [chuckles] BUT, it seems like a waste of money since it is such a race-specific system and to utilize it would require quite a dedication to racing. (lots and lots of money). The airbag system seems more rational for daily use and tracking. But like Egan noted, the alignment issue seems like a hastle. Screw both systems, get the DMS or something like that.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I don't think it's worth the cost difference in relation to coilovers, I'd rather just get those, have summer and winter setups, and have more money for other mods.