Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Popping noise on stock suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 06:52 AM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
Popping noise on stock suspension!

If anyone can help me on this, I'd appreciate it. First off, I am still in the break-in period and have 885 miles on my 03WRX. Today I heard a popping noise on my front passenger side while coming to a stop or slowly turning. The popping sounds like a popcorn bag in the microwave but very low... not loud. The only way for me to not hear the sound is to turn my radio on...hehehe.

Please, if anyone can explain this phenomenon, it would be great. Is this normal?... I certainly doubt it is. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:56 AM

Angry

Thanks for the replies. At lunch time, I tried bouncing the car up and down on both the front passenger side and the front driver side. In doing so, I heard the popping sound coming from the front passenger side and not the driver side. It sounds like the every time the spring goes up and down, it makes that sound. Sounds like a squeak.

I emailed my dealer for a suggestion on what to do. Shockingly, he hasn't responded yet. When I was buying my car, he was responding to my emails in a matter of minutes. Now, it's like they don't even exist! I swear, they only kiss your butt when you're buying the car, and after it's sold, it's sayonara baby.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up

My biggest problem is that the dealer is 100 miles away from me. Anyway, thanks for the replies guys... I shall drive to the dealer Thursday so they can take a look at it. I'll keep ya posted on the problem just in case it happens to someone else. I'll let ya know what the problem was. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:31 AM

Ahh...So I'm not the only one who's had the problem.

catdogr... how long did it take for the dealer to replace it? The reason I'm asking is that I am 100 miles from the dealer and I don't want to waste a whole day just waiting for them to fix something that shouldn't have started making noise to begin with.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:08 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you can reproduce the noise by doing what you did bfore, pushing on it, they should be willing to fix it. When I put in my Bilsteins I had a clunking from the right front strut because it wasn't torqued to the strut top. They may want to just try torquing everything first, but that may fix the noise too.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:18 PM
LVT

Car Info: soon to be 2001 mica blue RS-T
this may be a newbie question but what do you mean by "torquing"?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:05 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Every nut and bolt on your car has a tolerance they need to be tightened down to so it won't loosen if not tight enough, or snap the bolt if too tight. Usually achieved w/ a torque wrench.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:44 PM

Well I visited the dealer this past weekend to get this popping noise checked out. They told me that they tried different things and can't seem to make it stop. So, they applied more lube, I guess on the shocks and springs. They told me to drive it around for a few days to let the lube go to work, and let them know if I still hear the sound. Well I've driven it about 150 miles already and YES! I can still hear the sound. It doesn't bother me as much anymore. But it's when I have my family or friends in the car, that's when it bothers me. I just don't want them to hear a car making noise, especially if it's brand new! Anyway, needless to say, I'm going to have to drive my butt back to the dealer (100 miles) for them to get this taken care of once and for all. I have a feeling that I will be getting new shocks and springs put in.... at least they ought to. I'll keep ya'll posted.