Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Perrin Swaybar for '05 LGT installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Perrin Swaybar for '05 LGT installed

No pics cause my camera isn't working, but the install wasn't too bad. A little bit tougher then I expected, but all in all not too bad. 3-4 hours of work, but I bet I could do it again much quicker.

Some tips.:
I tried to do this while on the ground, but I ended up having to jack the car up and take off my rear wheels and the two mufflers. The mufflers are fairly easy, just take out the two 14mm bolts, and then pull the can out of the hangers.

I had a bit of trouble with getting the mounting bracket brace to fit. It requires you to unbolt the subframe, so be careful and only do one side at a time. Its a little rough getting the subframe bolt and the lower mount bolt to both line up at the same time. But with the judicious help of a Ford tool, it can be done.

The endlinks are a pain in the *** to get reconnected on the swaybar side (with either the car raised or lowered) because there are so many suspension pieces in the way. I would recommend attaching the endlinks to the bar first, then attaching them to the lower control arm second. Its much easier to use those bolts.

One last note, I ended up getting halfway through the install when it asked for some bushing spacers. I didn't have them, but installed the piece anyways since the bushing looked like it didn't need a spacer. I contacted Perrin, and they noted that the spacer might not be necessary, as there were new bushings that didn't need the spacers.

So far I like it. It is adjustable from 17mm to 22mm. I have it set to 20mm with the stock endlinks (upgrading soon), and everything seems to handle much better. The change is different then I was expecting. I was expecting to feel the back end step out more, but in essence it really feels like the whole car just turns and rotates better. The feeling of turn-in is great. 100% satisifed.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru
Good write up...and I'll stick by my claim that the dollar to amount of performance increased ratio of upgrading the rear bar is the most of any mod....especially on Subaru's.

fibuz
Old 01-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2006 2.5i Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by fibuz
Good write up...and I'll stick by my claim that the dollar to amount of performance increased ratio of upgrading the rear bar is the most of any mod....especially on Subaru's.

fibuz

word. thank you for the write up. Mine should be on the way as well soon. I just have to decide on springs and shocks and am still trying to find the best place to order them through. I'm a former honda guy and its pretty easy to find parts for them as opposed to subaru LGTs