Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Perrin 4 piston calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
So far I have have worn out three sets of dba WRX-sized CD and Slotted rotors.
No issues with warpage or cracking with any of them.

And I'm an Oaf who lives in the hills, so that makes me an expert.
:banana:

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Perrin 4 piston calipers-4pot2.jpg  

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 04-30-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
3 sets? as in you've gone through 12 rotors now? jesus u must be harsh on the brakes!..

or do these rotors just not last that long ?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Let me explain:
I have the same setup on both the Legacy & Impreza: Subaru 4 pots squeezing WRX sized CD & slotted dba rotors up front.
My daily commute is 64 miles , which includes 20 miles of twisty canyon road which can hide a slow tourista around every curve.
And I like to drive, shall we say, "spiritedly."
In addition, I change pads and rotors at the same time, annually, whether they're at 5% or 50% (They're usually <10%).
Is this excessive? Costly?
Yes, but what price does a parent put the safety of their children?

So, yes, I go through brakes.

Paul
Old 05-08-2004, 12:46 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX
I've got the Wilwoods(same as perrins) and stoptech slotteds for months now
and still waiting for the problems people have reported.
The wilwood/stoptech combo are a great setup. I've taken my rex with this setup on a drive and they were just great, very solid.
BTW, the kit came with braided steel hose as well. Very easy install.

wrxdude
Old 05-12-2004, 01:57 PM

I have had the wilwoods for 1 year (along with ss lines, dba slotted rotors and Motul fluid)....They make noise depending on how they are used and what pads are used...

on the track they are great...never had a problem...no noises...

on the street they are very noisy depending on the pad...

Wilwood q- horrible, very loud squeeks, knocking sounds from the caplipers etc...

Hawk HPS - i used these in the winter, the brakes were very quiet with these, what a difference very little noise from the calipers

Hawk HP+ - Summer street pads a little noiser than the HPS but not that bad, caliper a little louder but livable

Performance friction - race pad, very quiet on track as i mentioned, I drove with them on the street for 2 days to bed them and were quieter than the HP+

They suit my needs since I am at the track at least 2-3 times a month but if I was only doing autoX and street I would personaly keep the stock calipers and get SS lines, Hawk HP+ pads and new rotors.

Marvi
Old 05-15-2004, 06:24 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marvi
Performance friction - race pad, very quiet on track as i mentioned, I drove with them on the street for 2 days to bed them and were quieter than the HP+
They suit my needs since I am at the track at least 2-3 times a month but if I was only doing autoX and street I would personaly keep the stock calipers and get SS lines, Hawk HP+ pads and new rotors.

Marvi
Perhaps you could share the PFC compound with the rest of us. They make top-notch race pads, definitely not cheap, but they're very tough to beat in terms of a track/race pad. Basically, you're getting the same thing that the pro race teams are running; World Challenge, Grand-Am, USTCC, BTCC, you name it.

Also, what other compounds have you run on the same rotors as the PFC compounds?

Tim
www.stoptech.com
Old 05-17-2004, 09:26 AM

I don't remember the compound either 90 or 93, i don't have them with me. But yah they are a great pad, better than the HP+ for the track.

I only use one rotor the DBA 650 slotted. The have both PFC and HP+ compound on them. I don;t know if that is an issue or not but that's all i've got.

Marvi
Old 05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
I have the Wilwood four pots and i love em...on the street when they are cold they are noisy but they give a firm pedal feel and i have not noticed any fade with them...but they are noisy...
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 PM

Car Info: '02 MBP WRX
by noisy do you guys mean squeeking really loud...cuz i just installed my set of wilwood 4 pots fron and 2 pots rear and i am getting the loudest squeeking i have ever heard in my life....is this normal or what...i'm assuming its not normal....just lemme know if you know what the problem is...thanks

Brooks
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by dubluv17
by noisy do you guys mean squeeking really loud...cuz i just installed my set of wilwood 4 pots fron and 2 pots rear and i am getting the loudest squeeking i have ever heard in my life....is this normal or what...i'm assuming its not normal....just lemme know if you know what the problem is...thanks

Brooks
That would be normal for those Wilwood 4 pots. Squeek!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:09 PM

Car Info: '02 MBP WRX
would it help to get some different pads?? is there anyone out there that has these brakes and doesn't experience much squeaking...right now i have wilwood pads in the front and rear....i'm assuming they're track pads and that is why they are loud...well just lemme know what company makes some quiet pads for this setup....thanks

Brooks