Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.
View Poll Results: What color to paint brake calipers for 02 Platinum Silver WRX?
RED, to match the taillights and look like budget Brembos
28.57%
BLACK, simple and inconspicuous
51.43%
SILVER to match the car, add depth to the darker 17" wheels
5.71%
BLUE (WRB or a near match) to celebrate my WRX rally heritage
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Painting Calipers (color choice poll!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Painting Calipers (color choice poll!)

I'm about to replace my stock rotors with some Power Slot OEM-size replacements (no budget for a big brake upgrade this year, maybe next summer) and was going to take the opportunity to paint the ugly, uncoated stock calipers. Have any of you done this? What paint did you use, and how long did it last?

Oh, and should I replace my pads at the same time? I have the stockers with 22k miles of wear on them.

Take the poll!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Bump for more votes! Any opinions on the Power Slot rotors? I did a search and found several favorable opinions, but they were all by people who hadn't had them on for very long... anyone put 10,000 miles on theirs and can speak from experiece?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Last bump, I promise. Looks like Black is winning...
Old 07-25-2004, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Originally Posted by meilers
I'm about to replace my stock rotors with some Power Slot OEM-size replacements (no budget for a big brake upgrade this year, maybe next summer) and was going to take the opportunity to paint the ugly, uncoated stock calipers. Have any of you done this? What paint did you use, and how long did it last?

Oh, and should I replace my pads at the same time? I have the stockers with 22k miles of wear on them.

Take the poll!
Paint em' Black, the power slot rotors hats should be the same if I am correct, or you could paint the hats with the same paint. High temp paint made for brakes or engines does the trick. Clean the calipers with a metal brush and brake cleaner. You want to make sure they are really clean before you start. Multiple coats is best, and drying time between each. I would recommend some new pads with your new rotors. I would also upgrade to stainless lines as well if you got the funds. The exta $100 goes a long way in the pedal feel and brake firmness. For an affordable pad, the Axxis ultimates are used by many, but to some, are a bit on the dusty side. Carbotech Bobcat pads are also a good street upgrade.

Here is a link to a few pad/line packages from Subydude.com, the axxis package is at the bottom for $194 shipped.

http://www.subydude.com/parts/index.php?brakepackages

Hope this helps,
Kevin
Old 07-28-2004, 07:25 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Ltd, 2001 Outback LL Bean
I bought some black G2 paint, unopened, from a fellow on RS25.com who wasn't going to use it. So as soon as I install my new rotors, I'll probably go ahead and paint.

Actually, as soon as I get some jackstands.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
I know this is old and no longer an issue, but has anyone seen a car with blue calipers? Sounds really... strange to me. Any pics of some. But yea, I'd have gone with black, or maybe red. great choice. Post pics when u finish
Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza RS
Haven't seen any blue. I was going to paint mine blue, but then decided to go with red. You can't go wrong with red. Its kinda plain, since thats what everybody else seems to do, but it still looks nice and clean.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 AM
VIP Member

There used to be a set of pics of blue-painted rotors and calipers on Scoobymods, on the "painting rusted rotors" thread, but the pictures no longer work. It did look interesting, as it was on a platinum silver WRX, not WRB. However I think I've decided on a dark red color, if I can find one I like; I know that the majority posting in the poll have chosen black, but I've been looking at other people's calipers (gasp!) and black calipers are actually quite rare -- most are the dull nickel/zinc color that my stock calipers currently are, and bronze-colored adonized are also quite common.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by meilers
There used to be a set of pics of blue-painted rotors and calipers on Scoobymods, on the "painting rusted rotors" thread, but the pictures no longer work. It did look interesting, as it was on a platinum silver WRX, not WRB. However I think I've decided on a dark red color, if I can find one I like; I know that the majority posting in the poll have chosen black, but I've been looking at other people's calipers (gasp!) and black calipers are actually quite rare -- most are the dull nickel/zinc color that my stock calipers currently are, and bronze-colored adonized are also quite common.
I liked blue and red on the silver wrx myself though i wish it was easier to obtain a more custom color
Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
If you want to stay somewhat understated, I'd go with a black low-gloss high temp paint (I think the G2 is glossy). But I wouldn't call it rice to go with the budget brembo look, red or gold/bronze (as long as you avoided decals )

I realize what you mean though, I want to put a coat of paint on mine, too. I was going to paint my rear drums, too (yeah, my OBS is lame), maybe I can make it look like a disc setup by painting the drums silver, with one black area to look like a caliper, and a strategic dot pattern for the cross-drilled effect I'd seriously like to see how this would look from ~20ft away standing still, or ~10 ft away slowly rolling by; but I don't think I'm gonna try it on my car.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:35 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
if i am correct, rotora calipers are blue. i helped my friend paint his calipers blue on his wrb wrx about a week ago. they turned out pretty nice. for me..i will be painting mines black.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
G2 caliper paint w/ SUBARU stickers on 2004 OEM WRX calipers

Originally Posted by kravdra
I know this is old and no longer an issue, but has anyone seen a car with blue calipers? Sounds really... strange to me. Any pics of some. But yea, I'd have gone with black, or maybe red. great choice. Post pics when u finish