Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Notchy steering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Notchy steering?

Okay, I don't know how to describe this well enough for you fellow i-clubbers to diagnose, but I'll try my best.

When I'm pulling out of my carport, I have to make a tight left turn to avoid hitting some railing. I have had no problems, up until recently. When I turn my wheel all the way left til it locks (or even close to lock), only when I am in reverse backing up, I get an almost notchy feeling in the steering (actually the passengers can feel it too, so it kindof jerks the whole car). It's not just 1 jerk, it will do it several times while I'm backing up. This does not happen in any forward gears that I know of, nor does it act up when turning right in reverse, it only happens in reverse when turned to the LEFT.

My first impression was a cv joint or boot gone bad, but I am not sure, as I have never had one of these go out on this car.

If it is the cv, can I somehow regrease it or must I buy a new one? This only started a week or so ago, so I don't think there is too much damage, but can I mess something else up if I keep driving on it?

Thank you,
Smitty
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
If it is a CV boot there is no way to repair them, you must R&R (Rip and Replace). If it is a torn CV boot and you keep driving it, you will just end up buying that half axle.

Check your power steering fluid, if it is anything short of clear, or a chemicalized color, IE brown, dark colors, you need to replace it and that might help.

Cheers,
Austin