Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS

I finally got to put my Swift (wagon specific) springs on my '05 OBS this week. I had them with KYB GR-2's in my garage for almost a month waiting for 'spring'. Actually I am still waiting for spring here in the NW... But, it was time to hang the new suspension.

I used wagon specific GR-2's and wagon specific Swift springs. Since my OBS sits about 3/4" higher then the WRX, the drop was a source of curiousity for both myself and the Swift importer Mann Engineering. I shot 'before' pictures with the stock alloys and tires and will shoot 'after' shots with both the stock set-up and 17" alloys with 215x45x17 tires that are on the way to me as we speak (?).

The GR-2's are designed to work with the '02-'03 WRX wagon. There has been much information and mis-information floating around the boards about using these on later model year Suby's. "You need '03 top hats." "Simply won't work." etc.

They work perfectly well in fact! With the '05 top hats only a simple task allows them to fit. You simply need a washer (or several thinner ones) on the strut to help compress the springs in the rear only (front is completely a 'piece for piece' swap with the orginal top hats and rubber mounts). The washer needs to be 14mm (I.D.) 18mm (O.D.) and 5mm thick. I used five 1mm thick washers per strut. They must be steel. These will slide over the threaded part of the upper strut (again, the rears only). and will stop on the 1st 'shoulder' of the strut rod below where the threads stop (many thanks to Sean @ Rallitek for the straight answers to my questions and the quick delivery of the struts!).

The springs only required the trimming of the front bump stops (one section ~ off the botom, the rears were left alone).

After the springs and struts were replaced the drop was very clean, even and has maded a huge difference in the 'attitude' of the car... it now looks like a road car instead of a small S.U.V. trapped inside a hatchback!

The drop to the Outback Sport was 2" in front and 1.5" in the rear. Keep in mind these figures represent the higher ride height of an OBS over a WRX!

The combination of the GR-2's and the Swift's are a perfect marriage. The struts keep the stiffer springs in control at all times. There is NO slamming over sharp bumps. No bouncing or hopping along the highway or on city streets. Bumps in the apex of a corner are delt a quick blow and not a single extra bounce is felt.

The ride is all I could have asked for. Let's say it has a serious and controlled ride, without going off the deep end for handling at all cost. It IS stiffer then stock, but not something that makes you pay for the advantages in handling with a car you don't want to take on long drives.

I should also mention I have a front strut brace and IPD/Subie Solutions front (7/8") and rear (3/4" adjustable) sway bars.

I can only thank Gary Mann @ Mann-Engineering for a great product :-)

I will post before and after pictures as soon as spring really does arrive with some sun for pictures!

The springs: www.mann-engineering.com

The struts: www.rallitek.com

Cheers!

*** Edit 4/15/06 PM ***

Posted 'after' shots of the new springs. My 'before' shots are stuck in a hard drive that crashed... but, everyone has seen the stock ride height of an OBS ~ When I can get at the 'before' images I will post again!
Attached Thumbnails New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-after-profile.jpg.jpg   New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-after-side.jpg.jpg  

Last edited by NW OBS; 04-15-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Need Pics! Good write up, im also very happy with the gr2s on my wagon, but im using prodrive springs.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Need Pics! Good write up, im also very happy with the gr2s on my wagon, but im using prodrive springs.
Pics by the weekend! We finally got some sun today ~ hopefully the sun will hold out till tomorrow (I have the day off).

Prodrive were the other springs I was considering... I've heard nothing but good things about them. Decided to brave it and give something new a chance, very happy with my gamble.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
lookin good!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:38 PM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Nice drop. Those springs are light too! I was at LIC when the guys from Mann weighed those things - they are lighter than STi reds. It's nice that they are gga specific.

Last edited by OwlBoogie; 04-17-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by OwlBoogie
Nice drop. Those springs are light too! I was at LIC when the guys from Mann weighed those things - they are lighter than STi reds. It's nice that they are gga specific.
Since I am driving an NA car (where each pound speaks volumes about how $$$ each horsepower will cost vs. the performance gains) my decisions on this car come with weight as the #1 issue.

I have done plenty of turbo builds (back as far as late 70's with a twin turbo'd 900 Saab with twin intercoolers (when intercoolers were 'race' items you had to source!). That little puppy ran 21 lbs boost with a stroked bottom end and methanol injection for 420+ whp when that was unheard of on a street car. The fact that it was balanced, blueprinted, shot peened and magnafluxed held it all together (or pure luck?).

At any rate, you are correct. The Swift are some of the lightest around ~ fewer coils then most helps. In fact at each corner I saved 3 lbs over the exisiting stock springs (on a bathroom scale... it's pretty accurate with my fat ***). The KYB GR-2's were 1 pound less then each stock struts.

Now the Kicker. Since rotational mass and unsprung weight will kill a low HP NA engine's power faster then Raid on a cockroach, listen to this. The stock 16" wheels and tires pictured weigh no less 43lbs per corner! In an effort to keep my wheel/tire upgrade as light as possible, I stuck with 17". The rims I bought are 16.5lbs (some sites say 17lbs ~ so, take your pick) and the 215x45x17 tires, General UHP Exclaims (Ultra High Performance) weigh only 18lbs.

So, with new springs/shocks/tires/rims, I am saving no less then 12lbs per corner off the car's unsprung weight!!!

Allows me some room for larger brakes down the road when the HP starts to require it!

Edit: Saturday PM

*** Pics of rims and tires next week... the car looks so good with the new 17" wheels/tires! The Rota centers are 'Steel Grey' with a polished lip. It matches the cladding perfectly on the OBS!!! ***

Last edited by NW OBS; 04-22-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 PM

Talking New Photos With 17's

[QUOTE=NW OBS]I finally got to put my Swift (wagon specific) springs on my '05 OBS this week. I had them with KYB GR-2's in my garage for almost a month waiting for 'spring'. Actually I am still waiting for spring here in the NW... But, it was time to hang the new suspension.

I used wagon specific GR-2's and wagon specific Swift springs. Since my OBS sits about 3/4" higher then the WRX, the drop was a source of curiousity for both myself and the Swift importer Mann Engineering. I shot 'before' pictures with the stock alloys and tires and will shoot 'after' shots with both the stock set-up and 17" alloys with 215x45x17 tires that are on the way to me as we speak (?).

The GR-2's are designed to work with the '02-'03 WRX wagon. There has been much information and mis-information floating around the boards about using these on later model year Suby's. "You need '03 top hats." "Simply won't work." etc.

They work perfectly well in fact! With the '05 top hats only a simple task allows them to fit. You simply need a washer (or several thinner ones) on the strut to help compress the springs in the rear only (front is completely a 'piece for piece' swap with the orginal top hats and rubber mounts). The washer needs to be 14mm (I.D.) 18mm (O.D.) and 5mm thick. I used five 1mm thick washers per strut. They must be steel. These will slide over the threaded part of the upper strut (again, the rears only). and will stop on the 1st 'shoulder' of the strut rod below where the threads stop (many thanks to Sean @ Rallitek for the straight answers to my questions and the quick delivery of the struts!).

The springs only required the trimming of the front bump stops (one section ~ off the botom, the rears were left alone).

After the springs and struts were replaced the drop was very clean, even and has maded a huge difference in the 'attitude' of the car... it now looks like a road car instead of a small S.U.V. trapped inside a hatchback!

The drop to the Outback Sport was 2" in front and 1.5" in the rear. Keep in mind these figures represent the higher ride height of an OBS over a WRX!

The combination of the GR-2's and the Swift's are a perfect marriage. The struts keep the stiffer springs in control at all times. There is NO slamming over sharp bumps. No bouncing or hopping along the highway or on city streets. Bumps in the apex of a corner are delt a quick blow and not a single extra bounce is felt.

The ride is all I could have asked for. Let's say it has a serious and controlled ride, without going off the deep end for handling at all cost. It IS stiffer then stock, but not something that makes you pay for the advantages in handling with a car you don't want to take on long drives.

I should also mention I have a front strut brace and IPD/Subie Solutions front (7/8") and rear (3/4" adjustable) sway bars.

I can only thank Gary Mann @ Mann-Engineering for a great product :-)

I will post before and after pictures as soon as spring really does arrive with some sun for pictures!

The springs: www.mann-engineering.com

The struts: www.rallitek.com

Cheers!

*** Edit 4/27 9:00PM PST ***
Attached Thumbnails New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-17-i.jpg.jpg   New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-17-ii.jpg.jpg   New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-17-iii.jpg.jpg   New Swift springs w/KYB GR-2's on OBS-swift-17-iv.jpg.jpg