Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

New (to me) car, suspension help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 96' Impreza
New (to me) car, suspension help needed.

I just purchased a 2000 2.5 RS that came with 5zigen springs and 17 inch Rota Tarmacs wrapped with a 45 series tire. When I hit bumps of all sizes the tires rub, and I want to fix it ASAP.

I bought this car for a daily driver, but it will see a few auto crosses and the occasional track day I'm sure. I want to fix the rubbing problem while upgrading to better springs (I was told 5zigen is garbage) and struts. I'm open to recommendations but I also wanted to know about the quality and performance results from SPT products. I know the springs are made by Eibach and the struts are made by KYB, but aside from that I know nothing. The reason I ask about SPT first is because I have a friend who works at a Subaru dealership and he can get the parts at cost.

Does anyone have experience with SPT springs and struts? How do/did you like them? Feel free to elaborate.

I'm also planning on adding both front a rear strut bars and an adjustable rear sway bar. I haven't looked into these very much but I know that all strut bars do the same thing, and there is no point spending a lot of money on them especially in my application.

Thanks in advance to those that leave helpful information!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Cool

Besides the fact that the 5Zigen springs may be "garbage", getting new springs it will not fix the rubbing unless the 5Zigen springs are severly sagged, or the new springs are higher then the 5Zigen springs. Most likely, the rubbing is caused by a wide tire extending slightly up to, or past the edge of the fender coupled with a low ride height.

Just check around to see what is happening. If the tires are barely rubbing, you might be able to get around it with a more agressive alignment. Otherwise, if you just want to get rid of the springs because you think it's garbage, go ahead. Make sure you get one that is higher then what you have now. Or higher springrate, at least.

Sorry, but I have no idea about the SPT springs.

About the strut bars; technically, one shouldn't really need strut bars when running just drop springs, as the springs are not really that stiff enough to cause so much flex in the chassis, yet it is a cheap mod that is sure to at least make a difference. Some people are sensitive enough to notice a change in chassis rigidity, yet others are just fooled by the placebo effect. But nonetheless, GC8's supposedly have more flex then the GDB body, so i'm sure strut bars wouldn't hurt. Just note that you don't need to spend a lot for the name.

For a rear swaybar, people say that it really helps the car turn, but know that touching the rear swaybar increases snap oversteer, depending on how large you go. Just get a feel for the car when you change it, so you know how the back end tends to come around at weird moments.

I hope this helped. Good luck! ;P
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 AM

I was mentioning the strut and sway bars as to point in the direction I will go once I get new springs, struts, and tires.

I want to buy springs and adjustable struts that will improve the handling characteristics of my RS while keeping my teeth in my head (too stiff of springs). This car will be my daily driver first, maybe a weekend racer later.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 AM

Car Info: 34k and 5 sets of tires
You might be able to roll the fenders with a baseball bat. Different springs are not going to help you with rubbing, only adjusting suspension or massaging bodywork will. Big old bumpstops would work too, but i dont reccomend that solution.

You can pull a 16mm rear swaybar off a early legacy, or an 18mm bar off a turbo or air suspension early legacy. The stock one is 13mm, which is kinda wimpy. Although i have a slightly different car, ive been perfectly happy with an 18 and a little more negative camber up front. Heck, other people have hopped in my car and almost soiled themselves after lifting off and oversteering. I dont think that anyone who has to ask questions should be looking for a 20.

Spring rates will tell you a lot about how they'll ride. stock rs springs are 160/150lbs, spt is 217/190, and stock sti is 200/130-200(progressive)
Old 07-01-2005, 01:46 AM

The reason I ask about the springs, struts, and sway bars are because I'm new to Subarus. I know how to drive. I'm not claiming to be amazing but I have taken High Performance Driving Classes at Thunderhill, raced open track days, and done a few auto crosses.

I posted this same thread over on Nasioc and the guys that have responded recommended STi V5/6 springs. I hear they are a bit rough due to their high spring rates. Opinions?

I now realize that in my original post I put to high of an emphasis on the tires. I'm willing (and wanting) to change the tires that are currently on the car. With that being said, can we get back to spring, strut, and sway bar discussions?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 34k and 5 sets of tires
Eibach..........................171 ............................91-188
Tein Soft......................67.2-179.18..................61.59-179.18 pg
Tein Medium.................67.2-235.18..................61.59-218.38 pg
Tein Hard.....................307.98 ........................279.98
H and R........................196.25-204.1 ...............186.25-193.7
Prodrive P1...................215.......................... ...195
GDA STi Sport Springs...200.............................185
2004 USDM STi.............200..............................1 30-200
2002-2003 STi "Pink".....215..............................19 0
2004 STi "Pink".............257 .............................217
SPT/STi.........................217..............0.... ..........190.............0
STi Version 4................196.............................. 174
STi Version 5................224.............................. 185
STi Version 6................237.............................. 195

there are some gd springs mixed in there, you can run them but you have to change the spring perches somewhere. You might like the 20, i just don't encourage beginning drivers to stick one on their stock car.

I haven't experienced enough of these different springs to be able to give you advice on what is what.

The best bang-for-the-buck is urethane steering rack bushings. I'd put them on everything.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:40 PM

Is that showing front and rear spring rates?

It seems like the Version 6 springs aren't much stiffer than popular springs such as the P1s and Teins.

I want to get semi-off topic here for just a moment. I found a 21mm STi rear sway bar for the 93- Impreza. Has anyone heard anything about it, good or bad? Here it is- https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=635