Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

need a review on TEIN basic coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM

Car Info: '06 Lexus IS
Talking need a review on TEIN basic coilovers

anyone using these coilovers? hows the ride?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 PM

yup...

I'm using the TEIN basics coilovers. I just put them in a few weeks ago. For the price, it's pretty good. Although there are no adjustments for dampening, the ride was still good. It's key selling factor I would say is the fact that you can adjust the height. For street applications, it's good. If you're going to go autocrossing, tracking, etc, then you may want to get the SS or higher models.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:01 AM

so the ride is not obnoxiously stiff or bouncy right?

im either going for the TEIN basics or Helix DNAs
Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Take a look at

Cusco Zero-1's,

But for dampening adjustability...go to Zero-2's or 2R's...2E's if you want to add electronic dampening control...

Just put the Zero-1's on yesterday...all I can say is...why didn't I do this to begin with...Wow!

04 Sti
1. Stock STi/springs....nice, a little too tall for my tastes

2. Installed Espelir ASD Springs...nice, pretty stiff...

3. Installed EDFC/TEIN Flex...pretty stiff...too rough and noisy for the wife...

4. Installed Prodrive Springs on Stock STI Struts...very nice, stiff, but not too stiff, nice drop (~1.5 front, ~.8 rear)...doesn't have the saggy @ss look...quiet.

5. Installed Cusco Zero-1...this is the most awesome setup I have ridden in...No bounce, height adjustable, 7kg/5kg springs...I have a Perrin RSB and Steering rack bushings...together with the Cusco's...wow! If you have not ridden in a car with Cusco's...do it, then make a decision...the zero-1's don't have damping adjustments but I don't think it needs it...I use my car as a daily driver but plan to try autox soon...shouldn't have any problems...I took a 90 degree turn going up a hill at ~25-30mph....it was like on a rail!...
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
or take a look at the megan racing coilovers. it is an apex n1 coilover for $800.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by DEMENTEDWRX
so the ride is not obnoxiously stiff or bouncy right?

im either going for the TEIN basics or Helix DNAs
the ride is pretty decent. it's not too bouncy or too stiff. i would say it is pretty good if it's a daily driver. for me, height adjustability is a plus. the dampening i wouldn't want, since i wouldn't adjust it as much as the height. i change the height even when changing from the stock 16 to 18's and vice versa. Also, I change the height during the winter too. all in all, i like my teins. price is good, quality is good.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Impreza
Talking Same situation as demented

I have the same questions as DEMENTED. I know most people will recommend us to get something else (most probably pricier) but what I want (and I think demented too) is not to have something that will in time be "overkilled". I just need ride height adjustment and quality, and I think that's exactly what the Tein Basics are for.

I also asked the same at NASIOC forums, but with not much response. The person that answered told me nothing specific and if I could to get Helix. But I just also read a review from someone where it said how PITA is to adjust height with Helixs.

So, AFOUR, if you have anything else to say about your experience with your TEINs please do so, and also please comment about how hard it is to adjust height, and if possible post some pics.

Thanks!
Rafael.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rafaramirez
I have the same questions as DEMENTED. I know most people will recommend us to get something else (most probably pricier) but what I want (and I think demented too) is not to have something that will in time be "overkilled". I just need ride height adjustment and quality, and I think that's exactly what the Tein Basics are for.

I also asked the same at NASIOC forums, but with not much response. The person that answered told me nothing specific and if I could to get Helix. But I just also read a review from someone where it said how PITA is to adjust height with Helixs.

So, AFOUR, if you have anything else to say about your experience with your TEINs please do so, and also please comment about how hard it is to adjust height, and if possible post some pics.

Thanks!
Rafael.
the review you read about how a pita it is to adjust height with helixs was a bit exaggerated. its not hard at all... just seems that way if you havent done it before. ive heard average reviews about it, but just lookin at the helixs makes it seem like a better choice to go with. however, ive heard alot of good things about helix and rather go with that choice. even if its the most basic setup they have, you should go for it and get the teins. i havent heard any bad reviews about the setup... after all, it is TEIN.