Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Need new pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Car Info: currently own a modded 97' maxima. in the process of owning a modded 2k2 wrx
Need new pads and rotors

I went to the dealer today to see if they would cover my rotors which are completely trashed under warranty. They said no, and that it would cost just short of $900 for parts and labor. Obviously I told them hell no considering I could get much better, aftermarket brake components for only $300 or so.

I am know the basics about brakes, but I am not too clear on what is the best bang for the buck. I looked around and it seems that propartsUSA (a vendor here) has some really good prices) dispite the fact they have failed to return my PM's.

I was looking here https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...t=brake+rotors
and I am not really too sure what is the best bet. I want a good and strong brake pad that will give minimal dust but I do not need anything top of the line... As for the rotors, I have no idea what I should be looking for.

I was considering the Hawk brake pads ( I hear good things) and as for the rotors, the Centric-Black E-coated blank rotors seem to be a good median from what I am seeing.

How are the Axxis pads, and which are the best to go with since they are about half the price of the Hawks. Is going with the Axxis better since you save $70 or are you better off going with Hawk?

It seems most of you would agree the hawk pads are a good buy, but what about the rotors? I am kinda in the dark with which are good and such. My car is only stageII and I do not track it so I want something better than stock, but not necessarily great and pricey.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 AM

hey, i just had the same situation, i decided to go with a brake kit by stoptech that costs about 650 for new slotted or drilled rotors, axis pads, steel lines, and motul brake fluid. it fit the stock calipers. they also have a kit a step down that you might be interested in, prices are about the same everywhere, I ordered from jsc speed and they were very helpful and got the brakes like 3 days after i placed the order.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Car Info: currently own a modded 97' maxima. in the process of owning a modded 2k2 wrx
Originally Posted by lowrx
hey, i just had the same situation, i decided to go with a brake kit by stoptech that costs about 650 for new slotted or drilled rotors, axis pads, steel lines, and motul brake fluid. it fit the stock calipers. they also have a kit a step down that you might be interested in, prices are about the same everywhere, I ordered from jsc speed and they were very helpful and got the brakes like 3 days after i placed the order.
I would like to go ahead and buy the full brake kit, but unfortunately being a college student with a car loan, I am rather tight on cash. I was hoping to keep the price under ~ $300 which is possible with the products I linked. I just dont know what rotors to get and which pads are in my best interest.

Thanks for the input though
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I bought the normal centric rotors with axxis deluxe plus pads from PropartsUSA. I called them and they were very helpful, and shipped in 2 days. Im satisfied, they are essentially oem replacements and much cheaper. No squeaking or massive brake dust, very similiar to stock. I also had the brake fluid flushed with Valvoline synthetic.

I wouldnt consider them an upgrade, but if you just need to replace your current brakes for cheap, they get the job done. If you want to slightly upgrade, I would get the Hawk pads...I actually wish I got those instead.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
I bought the normal centric rotors with axxis deluxe plus pads from PropartsUSA. I called them and they were very helpful, and shipped in 2 days. Im satisfied, they are essentially oem replacements and much cheaper. No squeaking or massive brake dust, very similiar to stock. I also had the brake fluid flushed with Valvoline synthetic.

I wouldnt consider them an upgrade, but if you just need to replace your current brakes for cheap, they get the job done. If you want to slightly upgrade, I would get the Hawk pads...I actually wish I got those instead.
Yeah, I intended on going with the Hawk pads... So the centric rotors are the same as OEM basically? There are 3 that they list on their site, the slotted, the plain blanks, and the black e-coated blanks. What are the differences between all of these? I know the slotted would be better, but are they going to be a decent improvement over stock? Which of the 3 are basic replacements for OEM?

Also, if not the centric ones, which is the next step in rotors that are still cheap (around, or only slightly more expensive than the centric's) but will be an improvement over stock?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DTR maxima
Yeah, I intended on going with the Hawk pads... So the centric rotors are the same as OEM basically? There are 3 that they list on their site, the slotted, the plain blanks, and the black e-coated blanks. What are the differences between all of these? I know the slotted would be better, but are they going to be a decent improvement over stock? Which of the 3 are basic replacements for OEM?

Also, if not the centric ones, which is the next step in rotors that are still cheap (around, or only slightly more expensive than the centric's) but will be an improvement over stock?

Thanks a lot.
The centric blanks are basic replacements. The e-coated ones are blanks with some high-temp paint on them.

Brembo also makes oem replacements. On tire rack they are $66 each I believe.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM

The centric blanks are basic replacements. The e-coated ones are blanks with some high-temp paint on them.

Brembo also makes oem replacements. On tire rack they are $66 each I believe.
So the E-coated is just high-temp paint? So they are basically not worth the extra money then since they do nothing to help in aid in better braking, less wear, etc...?

I am thinking I will just go with the centric blank rotors and hawk pads. This seems to be like a decent setup for the money that will allow slightly better than stock braking.

Lastly, as far as centric goes, are the slotted rotors really worth the extra money over the blanks? It is a difference of about $70
Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Get the blanks. The e-coated ones would probably make it less prone to rust, but thats about it.

IMO...solid > slotted...but I dont track my car and dont fade my brakes on the street, plus more surface area = better braking. Also, you can have them resurfaced if need be. Most places wont turn slotted rotors. The main benifit of slotted is additional cooling, and the look

Last edited by subie OCD; 03-09-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Get the blanks. The e-coated ones would probably make it less prone to rust, but thats about it.

IMO...solid > slotted...but I dont track my car and dont fade my brakes on the street, plus more surface area = better braking. Also, you can have them resurfaced if need be. Most places wont turn slotted rotors. The main benifit of slotted is additional cooling, and the look
Great!

Thanks for the input/help.

I will probably order the centric blanks and hawk pads tomorrow. I nearly kill myself every day with how bad my brakes have been as of late.