Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

NE1, limited suspension mods, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 REX ClubSpec.AccessStg2
Post NE1, limited suspension mods, please advise

Hi gang,
Not sure how this will go over. Here goes.
I think I'll go crazy if I don't make decision about my suspension upgrades. I intend the mods to be mild. One thing to factor in is my intent to get a rev-lab quick rack, the 11.5:1 gear. That's pretty quick. Now, 90% of my driving is urban. So I get a lot of my fun by tossing my car (safely but tightly) around city corners. My goal is to have a car with better reflexes to try to match the steering, but keep enough stock components in the suspension to survive the potholes, and not become a rattle trap. Compliant and nimble.
I still like a good twisty too. Check me on this: solid rear end links; upgraded front and rear anti-roll bar bushings; upgraded steering rack bushings. (anyone install a bsuhing kit?)
Coming from a '91 MR2t, I like how the stock REX suspension handles uder power, generally. I'm running 225x50x16 RE950s, at 37/36 f/r.

I'd like to hear from WRX owners who've applied only limited mods to the stock suspension, with similar goals in mind.
1 What were your goals?
2 Did your mods meet your goals?
3 Do you intend to keep the suspension at it's current mod state?
4 Do your mods exceed your goals (versus meeting your goals)?
5 For your style of driving, what would you have changed about the end result, if anything?

thanks!

Darryl

Last edited by darryl; 03-20-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Joel, thanks

Thanks for the reply, Joel. I think I want to start small. My first mods will be to replace the stock sway bar bushings, and add at least a firmer rear end link. Wii that setup reduce roll?

Or...Maybe a larger front bar to take away some of that roll. It would be nice to replace them both. Hmmm... maybe a larger front AND rear bar with the rear still being somewhat smaller, but larger than stock? I'm not trying for oversteer here, just to minimize the leaning a bit. Well now I'm confused again!
darryl
Old 03-23-2004, 05:11 AM

Cool great info

Joel,
I already know about sizing the bars as you've suggested. But for a while I was thinking that too much bar will reveal bad handling traits in low-traction conditions like rain and snow. In retrospect, I don't see a real problem with that setup for the REX. I forget sometimes that I drove a modifed MR2_Turbo (stiffer struts, larger bars f/r) for 10 years in Cincinnati. This town is known for it's hills and it's broad range of weather, including freezing rains and snow. I got around pretty good compared to most, and on unplowed streets!

I have gone to the Rallispec site (it's open in another window now), and I will look it over. Thanks!

Last night I sent my intent-to-purchase to

Rev-Lab . I want the 2.1-turns-to-lock (11.5:1) rack. That's why I want to sharpen the car a bit while keeping the ride compliance as close to stock as I can (in balance) accomodate. An adjutable bar might be just the ticket! thanks,
darryl
Old 03-23-2004, 08:06 AM

Red face D'oh!

Actually I meant to type Rallitek! I've been to the site already. It seems to have great stuff!
Anyway, about that quick rack; I've been in contact with people who own the 11.5:1 rack. I'm told by them that as a daily driver it poses no problems, and feels more natural than always sawing on the wheel. There is a review on this site somewhere, I think. No tracking problems. No dartiness. Not all over the road. Still able to cruise about, driving with the left hand only, and the elbow propped on the window. I test drove an EVO, and quick as that steering is (13:1) it was just a more natural steering experience. I adapted to it way too easily. Spent about 45 minutes in it having fun on fun roads. Salesguy just wanted to get some fresh air. So I am not the least daunted, and I think my expectations are sound.
thanks again,
Darryl
Old 06-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Car Info: WREX
darryl - are the 225x50x16 tires on stock rims?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Car Info: WREX
darryl - are the 225x50x16 tires on stock rims?