Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Mystery Rear Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Enzo - sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issue. I was tempted to put my stock springs back on and see if it made a difference. If it does, i don't know what i will do. New springs?

I will let you know if i find anything else making noise back there.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 AM

Maybe I should've mentioned this before. But I noticed that the diameter of the H&R Spring is larger at the top than the stock spring. Does anyone think that this maybe causing the noise?

I think I will be calling H&R to get this resolved. I will keep this thread updated.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:42 AM

More Info:

Today I spent some time on the phone with H & R and they asked me to look further into the issue of the spring versus the spring purch size. It ends up that the bottom purch/cup that the spring sits in is actually smaller than the H&R spring. I have taken a good amount of pictures showing the issue, and will be doing my best to get the situation remedied.

I will keep the post updated with my solution and H&R's assistance.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:22 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Is it possible that the springs are upside down?
Or the rear tops aren't oriented properly...the three holes need to 'point' out toward the quarter pannel.

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 01-09-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:07 AM

The springs can only fit one way in the strut, and I have them in the right way. However, it seems that the H&R Springs are a bit too large in diameter and are actually hitting the strut perch. I realize I said this already, but look for yourself in the picture:
Attached Thumbnails Mystery Rear Suspension Noise-wrxspring3small.jpg  
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Get some of that plastic, spiral wound, wire bundle cover stuffff from radio shack and wrap the bottom couple coils on your springs.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM

Yes, I am working with H&R on this issue - I've been on the phone with them already today and they are coming up with a solution. I will post their reply when I hear from them next.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
on a side note, make sure your mouts for the swaybar are ok. just grab the rear sway and try to move it. if it moves your mounts are broken.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
If the mounts are broken will Subaru fix it under warranty? I think i am having the same problem. The sound is coming from the rear passenger area. I never heard the noise before until I got my car aligned yesterday afternoon. I found where the noise is coming from but I am not sure. I'll take a pic of it later tonight and post the place that I think is having the problem...I might be able to get a sound click too.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Here is the pic. Sorry but my digital camera battery die and I was not able to get a sound clip of the sound that it is making. Hopefully some can tell me what this bar is. The only suspension mod i did so far is lowered the car and put 18' rims on.
Attached Thumbnails Mystery Rear Suspension Noise-bar.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mystery Rear Suspension Noise