Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

More info needed on lateral links, springs and trailing arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:24 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
More info needed on lateral links, springs and trailing arms

I checked out the "STI Trailing arms... " thread from Nov. '02 but I had a couple more questions and was not sure if I would get good responses on such an old thread, so here's a new one. As I understand it is best to go with the adjustable lateral links like the Cusco if you have any plans to lower your car. Is that a true statement? I am considering getting Prodrive springs (lowering rates 1inch rear 1.5inch, or was it 1.2, front. My question is weather or not the nonadjustable STi lateral links will have a disadvantage over adjustable links with this slight ride height decrease, or if it is only a problem with WRX's lowered more than this. I tend to shy away from adjustibility in general because often they have to be set on a regular basis to maintain the proper setting. Is this a correct assumption? If I go with adjustable lateral links how easy is it to make sure both are set to the same length? also what is the setting mechanism like and how does it work? I have the Kartboy RSB links, SPT front control arms and STi trailing arms, so lateral links maybe my last linkage step and I will be able to turn my attention to sway bars and springs. I have also heard that the transmission maybe negatively affected by lowering the car and/or changing the lateral links, If anyone has any feed back on this I would appreciate it. Any info on selecting a good combination of parts to works with the ones I already have or have ordered will be helpful as well. I have only been able to find lateral links for sale at Vivid Racing but would appreciate some other links so I could do some price comapasons. Thanks.

Last edited by Andersonwrx; 01-31-2003 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:36 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
I would recommend the STi pieces as you sill not need the adjustment that the Cusco pieces offer unless you are planning on tracking your car competitively, in which case you will need uber-negative camber. The STi links with camber bolts should get you at least -1.5 deg of neg camber which is enough for most people. I also think that the STi pieces will jive much better with your existing setup (all STi/SPT) than the Cusco pieces since the STi pieces are made to work together, if that makes any difference.

I have not heard of any negative side effects of lowering the car on the transmission. What exactly have you heard lowering the car can do to your tranny?
Old 02-05-2003, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
http://www.z1auto.com/ will have them around the middle of the month. I'm sure they will be the best price when they come in.
groupp-s has them
I think sub-dude and kaslekornner also have them

Last edited by bamfwrx; 02-05-2003 at 04:07 PM.