Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Looking for a good set of Blank rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Looking for a good set of Blank rotors

I have a 02 WRX sedan with oe calipers, SS lines, Motul RBF600 fluid (dot 4), Ferodo DS2500 pads and I need new rotors. After doing some research I think I would like to purchase a good set of blanks but I’m not sure what would work best for me. My car will be used for transport to work 1 day a week, weekend pleasure, 1 day on the track at Indy after the American Grand Prix and around 1-2 auto X events a month.

Here are my questions.

1) Do any of you have experience with Brembo or Frozen Blanks and if so what do you think of them?

2) If you have owned both which did you like better and why?

3) Do I need anything better than the oe rotors in the rear?

4) Am I forgetting to mention a blank that would work for my needs (mountain)?

5) Should I just buck up and buy some Racing Brake or DBA slotted rotors?

6) Is it a bad idea to run a slotted rotor in front and a blank in the rear?

Initially I was thinking of running racing brake slotted rotors front and rear or DBA’s but I don’t want to spend the $ if their not going to make much of a difference.

Thanks
Joe
Old 12-05-2005, 05:44 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
im running moutain rotors

they are fine. they havent warped and i went up and down the moutain

you can run regular rotors in the rear and slotted\drilled in the front no problem.

the slotted/drilled wont make a difference in the braking, from what ive been told

its a bling factor
Old 12-06-2005, 08:36 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
If you're going to get a blank rotor get the Brembro. I've been racing on them for 4 years now on my sube'. Today I'm changing to a slotted rotor for fun. Essentially the slotted rotor allows gas to escape between the pad and rotor. In theory, they provide stiffer braking. But I'm sure there are a few people who will protest otherwise. However, if you are going to get slotted on one or the other I recomend slotting the rear over the front. This will provide better braking for drifting and what not. But I'm sure it's not really going to make a difference unless you race hard core everyday and have developed a feel for it. Brian Moody runs blank disc on is S4 (560hp) hill climb car. He claims by them. The slotted rotors will knacker you pads a lot quicker.

mitch
Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Thanks guys.

I’ve read a lot about the difference between Slotted and blank rotors and from what I’ve read the benefit of running a slotted rotor over a blank is minimal if you’re running a good pad.

It sounds like the Brembo’s can take the punishment of auto-xing without warping so I think I’ll save some $ and go with them.

Thanks
Joe