Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Koni inserts in STi inverted strut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:20 AM

Question Koni inserts in STi inverted strut?

As title, has anyone fitted the Koni inserts into an inverted STi strut? Surely the fact that the unit is the same diameter, has no top to cut off, and already has a hole drilled in the bottom makes it a perfect candidate for this mod?

One of my front ver.5/6 units is clunking at low speed and I'm thinking that not much else is going to come close to this unit at a reasonable price.
I have Vogtland springs which give about a 20mm drop front and rear, the rates are similar to the Eibach Prokit. I will not fit coilovers, can't live with the price tag or the maintainance, and the AGX doesn't seem to match the STi unit's performance or ride quality, from what I've read.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:38 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Why not just get another set of takeoffs? It would be cheaper than getting Konis in your old strut bodies.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Why not just get another set of takeoffs? It would be cheaper than getting Konis in your old strut bodies.
Partly because it seems that the inverted struts are very prone to this low-speed clunking issue, many being replaced under warranty. Mine have gone about 50,000km before this problem occured, but there are lots of cases of even the newer ver.7 and 8 units developing this problem at as little 15k.
Ver.5/6 units aren't exactly abundant over here, and any I come across are likely to be faulty or will be soon. Very low confidence in finding a set that will last very long...
If the new ver.5/6 struts on the market came with a warranty I might buy a pair, but they don't, and at that price and with this poor reputation it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

What I'm looking for is a replacement option that performs like the STi strut, without going to the trouble of coilovers. The Koni looks like a reasonable option from the performance and reliability standpoints, but if there are other suggestions I'm open to those.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:17 AM

I'm sort of in the same boat you are. I'm running Prodrive World Rally Sport suspension, and I don't know how much longer it will last. There really aren't any wallet-friendly inverted strut setups left.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:47 AM

I have searched high and low on this issue, but the results are contradictory. Will the ver.7 or 8 front struts work on the GC/GF without mods? I might be able to come up with some of those to replace my ver.5/6 units if they fit, in lieu of a better solution.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:26 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by wagon christ
Partly because it seems that the inverted struts are very prone to this low-speed clunking issue, many being replaced under warranty. Mine have gone about 50,000km before this problem occured, but there are lots of cases of even the newer ver.7 and 8 units developing this problem at as little 15k.
Ver.5/6 units aren't exactly abundant over here, and any I come across are likely to be faulty or will be soon. Very low confidence in finding a set that will last very long...
If the new ver.5/6 struts on the market came with a warranty I might buy a pair, but they don't, and at that price and with this poor reputation it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

What I'm looking for is a replacement option that performs like the STi strut, without going to the trouble of coilovers. The Koni looks like a reasonable option from the performance and reliability standpoints, but if there are other suggestions I'm open to those.
Lately I've noticed a clunking type noise in the right rear of my 04 STi and was going to get it checked. This failure of inverted struts you mention, was it that common? BTW I have only 10K on my car. Has other STi owners experienced this noise?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:21 AM

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520870
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159508
Old 09-12-2004, 06:37 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
I thought you're not supposed to run the koni shocks upside down because of the design?

Sorry, I can't confirm this but I heard it somewhere. When I got my set of Koni's I didn't play with it upside down a lot.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
If your over in Europe could see if anybody sells Boge I have bought a set of their Super gas strut inserts before. It shows on their site they sell some for Subaru but you might have to persoanlly check for your application.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I'm sort of in the same boat you are. I'm running Prodrive World Rally Sport suspension, and I don't know how much longer it will last. There really aren't any wallet-friendly inverted strut setups left.
I wonder if they really have these in stock...
http://www.japanparts.com/Accessorie...i/suskit.1.jpg
Old 09-14-2004, 06:49 AM

i am almost 100% sure that you cant run the konis upside down because all the oil drains to the top of it and the stanchions move freely for a couple inches with no oil resistance.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 AM

Dude, no one is talking about running the Konis inverted. The STi inverted struts have a body very similar to the regular WRX units, it's the guts that are radically different... I was thinking we could just undo the bottom nut, pull the STi cartridge out and drop the Koni one in as on the WRX strut, but without the cutting. Obviously the dimensions are a little different or the Koni would slip right in.
Attached Thumbnails Koni inserts in STi inverted strut?-strutsti.jpg  
Old 09-14-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by wagon christ
I wonder if they really have these in stock...
http://www.japanparts.com/Accessorie...i/suskit.1.jpg
I think I'd do what it takes to find out, that's the best price I've seen.