Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

If you thought carbon/ceramic brakes were sexy....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
If you thought carbon/ceramic brakes were sexy....

check whats coming out next!!

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/e/br_max_torque.pdf
Old 07-05-2004, 08:31 AM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
Dual rotors and quad pad contact points...very sexy indeed.

-Soren
Old 07-05-2004, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
wow.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
holy ****...that is crazy...bet that is gonna be suppperrr expensive when it hits the market....
Old 07-05-2004, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It won't catch on outside of maybe ice racing and rally. Why? Because who wants to have 10" brake rotors under their wheels when their vented, slotted 14" rotors work great already? Not to mention the cost factor.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
It's neat, but I don't think it'll catch on. It has the possibility of being heavy, and the more complicated it gets, the less reliable things tend to be. It's some cool engineering though.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
nice.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
That looks sweet.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:47 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
My guess is the first place you'll see this showing up is 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and SUVs. They will be able to use smaller wheels, save weight, and dramatically improve braking. The guys that are actually hauling heavy loads don't have the option to move to bigger wheels to accomodate bigger rotors due to tire constraints.

Tim
Old 07-14-2004, 11:18 AM
@Stoptech

Originally Posted by Grintch
Seems to me that the differential cooling of the rotors (inner rotor surfaces would get less cooling/retain more heat) would make them very prone to warping. Plus a lot of rotating mass compared to a standard system.
First of all, less than 5% of all cases of vibration caused by the brake system are warped rotors. 95% of the time it is uneven pad deposits caused by the lack of a proper bedding procedure before the pads are driven hard, overheating the pads, or coming to a stop and leaving your foot on the brake pedal when the system is hot.

As far as rotating mass goes, this system has two solid rotors which would not dramatically affect rotating mass. Yes, you have two "hats" to connect the two separate rotors, but a normal vented rotor will still have those two rotors, they are just connected by vents in the middle. Those vents do have a significant amount of mass which adds thermal capacity and create much more surface area to aid in the dissipation of heat as well. My intuition tells me that this is designed more for heavy trucks where vehicle velocity is generally lower and wheel size is the limiting factor, rather than performance applications.

Tim
www.stoptech.com
Old 07-14-2004, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Grintch
Tim, what would happen if you milled out the vanes from your widest vented disks? Cooling would go to hell right? Now add additional piston acting on those additional surfaces, more heat generated - still crappy cooling - you would have a big problem.

Admittedly designing from scratch would allow you to optimize, but I doubt this would ever be a performance system. Even for a heavy truck, that heat would concern me. For truck isn't fade an issue while going down long downgrades?
The difference is that there is much more space between the rotors n this system than where the webbing is in a conventional rotor. Also, the relative narrowness of the rotors will make venting much less necessry. And lastly, here's the kicker- each rotor only has to deal with HALF of the heat generated by braking. So, like tim says, for large trucks and such, it will work great.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:28 PM
@Stoptech

Quote by Grintch Tim, what would happen if you milled out the vanes from your widest vented disks? Cooling would go to hell right?
Quote by StopTech Those vents do have a significant amount of mass which adds thermal capacity and create much more surface area to aid in the dissipation of heat as well.
Quote by Grintch Now add additional piston acting on those additional surfaces, more heat generated - still crappy cooling - you would have a big problem.
There is no additional piston area. There are two extra friction interfaces, but according to to the pictures, the clamping force is distributed evenly across all four friction interfaces. In other words, this "four pad" caliper design generates no more heat in comparison to a standard "two pad" sliding caliper, given equal piston sizes.

Quote by grintch Admittedly designing from scratch would allow you to optimize, but I doubt this would ever be a performance system.
Quote by StopTech My intuition tells me that this is designed more for heavy trucks where vehicle velocity is generally lower and wheel size is the limiting factor, rather than performance applications.
Even for a heavy truck, that heat would concern me. For truck isn't fade an issue while going down long downgrades?
Perhaps I should have clarified in my previous post that by heavy trucks, I did not mean tractor trailers. They use an entirely different type of brake system as I'm sure you know. What I was talking about are 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, motorhomes, and other trucks built on those chassis. Remember that KE=0.5 x M x V^2, so the amount of kinetic energy that must be transferred into thermal energy by the brakes increases exponentially as velocity increases, whereas KE only increses as a linear function of mass.

Tim
www.stoptech.com