Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

i wanted to know what coilover should a newbie like myself get for my wrx sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2007 SWP WRX
Question i wanted to know what coilover should a newbie like myself get for my wrx sedan?

i wanted to know what coilover should a newbie like myself get for my wrx sedan?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend coil-over suspension unless you only plan to trailer the car to the track or autocross course. Fixed perch suspensions offer handling as good as most coil-overs without the ride penalty.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by blue5spdwrxwgn
I wouldn't recommend coil-over suspension unless you only plan to trailer the car to the track or autocross course. Fixed perch suspensions offer handling as good as most coil-overs without the ride penalty.
LOTS of people run coilovers w/o trailering their cars.

As for the suspension parts, it really depends on what you want from the car. Main reason to have coilovers, is that whomever makes them tries to valve the shocks to match the springs, to have height adjustability, and camber control. Since you're a newbie, I'm sure you don't need precision shock valving and camber control, but you might need ride height adjustability.

If you don't need height adjustability, I'd recommend getting some Prodrive Springs with Koni Sport (Yellows) shocks. Great setup for daily driving and spirited driving, while keeping it simple and not a huge chunk out of hte wallet. If you do need height adjustability, I'd recommend getting Ground Control coil sleeves and Koni Sport (Yellows) shocks.

However, if you get Ground Control coil sleeves, you need to research a LOT prior to purchasing them, since the stock rates they give you are garbage, and you can get any spring rate you want for no extra charge. I ended up getting a 300/275 rates front/rear, however, I'd like a bit more oversteer and would like to have gotten 300/300.

The reason I recommend Konis, is because they're rebuildable in the US and they have a lifetime warranty. If they ever blow, you send them back in to get revalved (maybe change the way they're valved if you want them stiffer) and then get them back for much less than you can anywhere else. Plus, they're probably the best performing shock for the price.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
Originally Posted by subie07wrx
Contact Myles at racecomp. He can help you with a setup.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

As for the suspension parts, it really depends on what you want from the car. Main reason to have coilovers, is that whomever makes them tries to valve the shocks to match the springs, to have height adjustability, and camber control. Since you're a newbie, I'm sure you don't need precision shock valving and camber control, but you might need ride height adjustability.

If you don't need height adjustability, I'd recommend getting some Prodrive Springs with Koni Sport (Yellows) shocks. Great setup for daily driving and spirited driving, while keeping it simple and not a huge chunk out of hte wallet. If you do need height adjustability, I'd recommend getting Ground Control coil sleeves and Koni Sport (Yellows) shocks.

However, if you get Ground Control coil sleeves, you need to research a LOT prior to purchasing them, since the stock rates they give you are garbage, and you can get any spring rate you want for no extra charge. I ended up getting a 300/275 rates front/rear, however, I'd like a bit more oversteer and would like to have gotten 300/300.

The reason I recommend Konis, is because they're rebuildable in the US and they have a lifetime warranty. If they ever blow, you send them back in to get revalved (maybe change the way they're valved if you want them stiffer) and then get them back for much less than you can anywhere else. Plus, they're probably the best performing shock for the price.
thats actually some rally good info. I might look into replacing my struts with some Konis. I've blown a wrx strut, and the 04 sti strut noise is driving me crazy
Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 PM

kyb struts and h&r springs; coilovers go with kw coilovers
Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by 7scooby
kyb struts and h&r springs; coilovers go with kw coilovers
eh, I have a buddy that had his kyb's blow while on the softest setting just because the car was lowered and the strut coldnt hadle it. Now hes afraid to put the struts (got same replacements) on the lowest setting because he doesnt want them to blow.

Thats what I like about the konis. Yes, you have to cut up your struts, but if they blow, they are replaced.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 PM

well i've been on kyb's for 2 years, i do drive hard. No track time yet but i keep it on the softest. A little bit of body roll but what can you expect for less than a grand lol
Maybe he just had a defective strut? Koni is nice though. Either way i'de say.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX

Did you go with the D_REX spacers to add some travel? The spacers are a big reason I always recommend Koni's over the KYB's with a GC setup.

BTW, I'm pretty happy with my Koni/GC setup but if I would have had the extra $ I would have went with a nice set of coilovers like Ohlins.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by MO REX
Did you go with the D_REX spacers to add some travel? The spacers are a big reason I always recommend Koni's over the KYB's with a GC setup.

BTW, I'm pretty happy with my Koni/GC setup but if I would have had the extra $ I would have went with a nice set of coilovers like Ohlins.
No, I haven't. For my application, I didn't see the need for extra work.

I recommend Konis because the no drop limit due to their design, lifetime warranty, and US rebuildable. Of course, if you have the money, you could go with Ohlins, but Konis are probably the top of the line budget shocks which are great for the money.

IIRC, Whiteline (and I think Cusco) aren't rebuildable in the US, which keeps you on stock struts (if you still have them) for a while having to ship them out to Autralia or Japan.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
No, I haven't. For my application, I didn't see the need for extra work.
I'm guessing you didn't drop the front too much. I went with 14.5" from hub to fender arch on a 290"# spring w/ GC top mount C/C plates and I still didn't have much travel. I'm glad I had the spacers on to add around 1" of travel or I'm guessing I'd be running out when I'm on the track.

Good to hear yours are working good without them.

I recommend Konis because the no drop limit due to their design, lifetime warranty, and US rebuildable. Of course, if you have the money, you could go with Ohlins, but Konis are probably the top of the line budget shocks which are great for the money.
I agree with you 100%. I just mentioned the spacers since a lot of the people out there like myself could use the extra travel. According to what I've read Koni's are definitely worth the extra time and $ over the KYB's and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm happy with my setup, it's just GC's upper spring perch design I'm not too thrilled with.

I'd have to make a lot more $ than I do in order to justify spending almost 3 times the $ on Ohlins over Koni's.

IIRC, Whiteline (and I think Cusco) aren't rebuildable in the US, which keeps you on stock struts (if you still have them) for a while having to ship them out to Autralia or Japan.
Ohlins are manufactured in Sweden and Japan so I'd guess rebuilds would have to be shipped overseas also.