Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

I need some guidance with a hella flush set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by esousa22
Just because its functional doesn't mean its not hella flush. As a DD you can drop it lower than Hershey and therefore being hellaflush AND functional. Right? or Wrong?
Not the same thing. By definition hella flush goes against function. And no, that's wrong. Riding on the bump stops at full compression is not functional or a good idea for a DD.

Originally Posted by mistaanime
Yea if you looking to just roll around for the "hellaflush: style and maybe do some spirited runs or something.. Just get some decent coilovers (Stance, BC, ISC) they are fine..read the reviews from people that own them. Unless your like a hardcore tracker, then you may want to invest in some Olins or something in that catagory..

Get some real wheels..as in staying away from rota club or xxr whatever the heck they are.. your running 5x114.3 lug pattern and there are bunch of wheels for you to choose from that are 18x9....something wide.. running stock wheels isn't "hellaflush" its more "hellastock"
Real wheels but get budget coilovers that most suspension gurus wouldn't even scrape from the bottom of a barrel? There is nothing wrong with Rota the brand. They USED to be bad but have gotten better over the years. This is coming from someone who would never buy replica wheels for their Subaru. It's XXR and other Sportmax brands that have tons of issues.

Last edited by Brfatal; 05-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
[
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Real wheels but get budget coilovers that most suspension gurus wouldn't even scrape from the bottom of a barrel? There is nothing wrong with Rota the brand. They USED to be bad but have gotten better over the years. This is coming from someone who would never buy replica wheels for their Subaru. It's XXR and other Sportmax brands that have tons of issues.
what would you consider a "budget" coilover? Rotas in fact make nice sizes for replicated wheels. Obviously quality and details don't match up to the real deal.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Anything under $1,500-1,600. For $1,000 there is only one set of coilovers for our cars that's worth anything, but it's still a lesser optioned entry level coilover and it doesn't have a stainless steel body. The rave reviews you see of a lot of the $1k coilovers are from people who have never had anything better and are only looking at one thing, the price. I have an acquaintance who swears that his Megans with 12 kg/ 10 kg springs offer the ultimate ride for a DD. That would liquify most people's brains.

Last edited by Brfatal; 05-08-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Car Info: 2007 subaru impresa sti
Budget? Are you tracking the car at all? I honestly can't make the recommendation that you get coilovers if you're not tracking competitively on a regular basis as springs and struts are a better option for DD and weekend racers.
your totally correct!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM

people have told me get tien coils! but someone else says there trash?
and others say get stance coils! but the other say no there trash
can someone please explain that to me like wtf! is it just the hype of a certain brand or the ride is better for the driver?!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by Black sti
people have told me get tien coils! but someone else says there trash?
and others say get stance coils! but the other say no there trash
can someone please explain that to me like wtf! is it just the hype of a certain brand or the ride is better for the driver?!
bc, isc, stance all of them are made in china coils, essentially the same unit just rebranded for each of these companies. from what I have read people are happier with these over tien. thats why i said i would get the stance or bs instead. Now if given a choice i would not run any of them like i said in my pm. These are the 'budget' coils which are not worth it.

On my bugeye I was on a similar budget to what you have. I ran a suspension setup of Tokico Dspec struts, RCE yellow springs and group n mounts. This gave me the look and handling aspect that I was looking for, with the latter being better than a budget coilover setup. Now I have a GR sti. I don't have the same budget and I plan on getting out onto the track soon. When I go to switch my suspension I have a few choices in mind, RCE tarmac 2s(revalved kw v3s), TIC/Mann engineering coils(revalved ASTs), or the new JRZ rs-1s. If i did have a budget I would look into a setup consisting of feal revalved struts and RCE yellow springs. To get a flush setup I would run something from Rota 18x9-9.5 +40- +35 range.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by flat489
bc, isc, stance all of them are made in china coils, essentially the same unit just rebranded for each of these companies. from what I have read people are happier with these over tien. thats why i said i would get the stance or bs instead. Now if given a choice i would not run any of them like i said in my pm. These are the 'budget' coils which are not worth it.

On my bugeye I was on a similar budget to what you have. I ran a suspension setup of Tokico Dspec struts, RCE yellow springs and group n mounts. This gave me the look and handling aspect that I was looking for, with the latter being better than a budget coilover setup. Now I have a GR sti. I don't have the same budget and I plan on getting out onto the track soon. When I go to switch my suspension I have a few choices in mind, RCE tarmac 2s(revalved kw v3s), TIC/Mann engineering coils(revalved ASTs), or the new JRZ rs-1s. If i did have a budget I would look into a setup consisting of feal revalved struts and RCE yellow springs. To get a flush setup I would run something from Rota 18x9-9.5 +40- +35 range.
i really dont want to track my car just for looks and DD car so stance would be a better choice in my situation correct?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 AM

Haha like i said the best would be the feal revalved struts with RCE yellow springs, research it looks great and handles great. There isnt really any reason for you to be buying coilovers. IF you do though yea, bc or stance.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
The only cheap coilovers worth anything are the suspension techniques ones. Basically KW V1 without the INOX body. I wouldn't worry about it though since we're in California. Ride very nice and can adjust height. No rebound or compression adjustments though.

Edit: nm Just saw you have a 07 sti. Don't think they make them for the 05-07 yet. Racecomp said it was in the works and that was in 2010. Assumed they were available now but they don't seem to be lol

Last edited by xtremeyolks; 05-09-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
The only cheap coilovers worth anything are the suspension techniques ones. Basically KW V1 without the INOX body. I wouldn't worry about it though since we're in California. Ride very nice and can adjust height. No rebound or compression adjustments though.
whoops for some reason I thought these werent available for the sti.(i think that only applies for the GR sti) but yes KW V1 are they way to go, or RCE tarmac0 which are the revalved version
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Not the same thing. By definition hella flush goes against function. And no, that's wrong. Riding on the bump stops at full compression is not functional or a good idea for a DD.

But what if he gets the softest available coilovers with dampening adjustments? Then its not so bad right? If "hella flush" officially means low as hell and cambered out wheels then I stand corrected but I think hella flush means the wheels are just "Hella" flush; as in little to no wheel gap and flush with the fenders. I'm just putting the two words together. Does that sound right to everyone?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 AM

But what if he gets the softest available coilovers with dampening adjustments? Then its not so bad right? If "hella flush" officially means low as hell and cambered out wheels then I stand corrected but I think hella flush means the wheels are just "Hella" flush; as in little to no wheel gap and flush with the fenders. I'm just putting the two words together. Does that sound right to everyone?
Everything you just said was the main reason why i made this thread i just dont want a big gap in between my fenders looks ugly!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 AM

OOOHH and one more thing guys i forgot to mention my car came with black struts witch are stock right?? for the 06 07 sti's? well i replaced them for sti pinks off a 05 sti was that a good choice?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Car Info: subaru
Step 1: Don't.
Step 2: Don't.
Step 3: Don't.

Hella flush is a travesty against cars.
YES!!!!!!!!!! glad someone say it. and easy way to GO DUMPED> CUT YOUR SPRINGS AND SAVE YOUR MONEY
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Technical Know-It-All

It means super low, stretched tires on obnoxiously wide wheels, and wheel poke.

Originally Posted by Black sti
OOOHH and one more thing guys i forgot to mention my car came with black struts witch are stock right?? for the 06 07 sti's? well i replaced them for sti pinks off a 05 sti was that a good choice?
No markings on the struts?

Quick Reply: I need some guidance with a hella flush set up