Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

I need some guidance with a hella flush set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Coilovers with front and rear camber plate adjustment dump it low. Concave wheels like 18x9.5 wheels +35 offset. Ride stretched tires like 235/40/18 and if need to roll fenders. If necessary, roll on wheel spacers and save money for tires.Your gonna need em.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Like what was written before a 17x8 with 48-55 spacing is ideal.
My wheel bearing comment was aimed at the people who use big wheel spacers to push thier wheels out.
I am not trying to be a hater but all to often people go this rout only to realize that they made their cars look cool but drive like crap.
Good luck.
Edit:bottom line is, its your car and you need to do with it what will make you happy. There is no name calling here, just throwing in my two cents so you can make your own informed decision.

Last edited by bikelok; 05-07-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
The hellaflush motto is "low and slow". You want a car that looks like a cartoon? Go for it. People will flame you because you are making your car less capable(and some say ugly). It will not handle as well because you ****ed the suspension geometry, it will not be capable of driving as fast because every road hazard is much more dangerous to you, and it will cost a relatively larger sum of money to actually drive it in this art-like condition.

Since you came to i-club and asked "how do I get hellaflush", we assume that you did not know the above information. I'm going to guess that you know little or nothing about the Subaru internet community, and almost as much about how cars work in general.

If you really want to be hellaflush, go to a shop that specializes in that stuff, then pull out a fat roll of bills and start peeling them off until it looks like you imagined. This way, when **** goes wrong for some reason you can come back and blame the shop!

But then, you did come to i-club to ask for help, so I'm going to guess that you don't have that much money to waste? Then, the only good advice we can give you is where to buy the cheap **** coilovers and wheels that most hellaflush cars have.

I'm think practically every single coilover set available under $1000 is made in the same factory in Korea and then marketed and sold under dozens of different brand names.

I would save some money by buying a used set and having them rebuilt (which you will have to do regularly with most coilovers), and people often sell wheels on the forums with a set of tires for a huge discount (50% or more!) over the cost of buying new. Some hellaflush guys go through several sets of wheels per year just to stay "fresh", so you can pick up someone's old stuff at a good price. good luck
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by flat489
You are right. That is stock wheel size on a sti. Stick with that.
As I said, it can vary a bit. He can run 18x8.5 if he wants as long as it's a good offset. I'm looking for 17x8.5s myself (hard to find in 5x100). The point, as I stated before, it to stay within a certain range of fitment if you expect good results. Slamming the car down so it's riding the bumpstops on your oversprung and under damped cheap coilovers with the bumper an inch off the ground and the wheels rubbing when you have passengers does not do any wonders for a car that's a DD. You're taking a sport compact and removing the sport aspect and leaving yourself nothing but a big hassle.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Bags are always a good idea...raise your car with a flip of a switch.

Bagged and Boosted WRX on Vimeo

needless to say...it's your car...do whatever you want with it. Majority of the ppl here are just gonna give you the run around and tell you to just keep your car stock.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 AM

Car Info: 2007 subaru impresa sti
Originally Posted by Gancherov
The hellaflush motto is "low and slow". You want a car that looks like a cartoon? Go for it. People will flame you because you are making your car less capable(and some say ugly). It will not handle as well because you ****ed the suspension geometry, it will not be capable of driving as fast because every road hazard is much more dangerous to you, and it will cost a relatively larger sum of money to actually drive it in this art-like condition.

Since you came to i-club and asked "how do I get hellaflush", we assume that you did not know the above information. I'm going to guess that you know little or nothing about the Subaru internet community, and almost as much about how cars work in general.

If you really want to be hellaflush, go to a shop that specializes in that stuff, then pull out a fat roll of bills and start peeling them off until it looks like you imagined. This way, when **** goes wrong for some reason you can come back and blame the shop!

But then, you did come to i-club to ask for help, so I'm going to guess that you don't have that much money to waste? Then, the only good advice we can give you is where to buy the cheap **** coilovers and wheels that most hellaflush cars have.

I'm think practically every single coilover set available under $1000 is made in the same factory in Korea and then marketed and sold under dozens of different brand names.

I would save some money by buying a used set and having them rebuilt (which you will have to do regularly with most coilovers), and people often sell wheels on the forums with a set of tires for a huge discount (50% or more!) over the cost of buying new. Some hellaflush guys go through several sets of wheels per year just to stay "fresh", so you can pick up someone's old stuff at a good price. good luck
Assuming i have no money.
assuming i dont know anything about how cars work..
assuming how subaru internet community is like...
assuming.. assuming and more assuming..
your full of assumptions aint you? thats one of the worst things u can ever do..
did u ever assume if i had no money then why would i own a sti?
or why would i ask for a hella flush set up?
the only thing i agree on your whole statement here. is i surely didn't know how the subaru community would be people like you everyone here was really helpful. you really made me not want to ever post anything on here again or even ask for any help. really unwelcoming
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
Coilovers with front and rear camber plate adjustment dump it low. Concave wheels like 18x9.5 wheels +35 offset. Ride stretched tires like 235/40/18 and if need to roll fenders. If necessary, roll on wheel spacers and save money for tires.Your gonna need em.
Thank you so much
Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
As I said, it can vary a bit. He can run 18x8.5 if he wants as long as it's a good offset. I'm looking for 17x8.5s myself (hard to find in 5x100). The point, as I stated before, it to stay within a certain range of fitment if you expect good results. Slamming the car down so it's riding the bumpstops on your oversprung and under damped cheap coilovers with the bumper an inch off the ground and the wheels rubbing when you have passengers does not do any wonders for a car that's a DD. You're taking a sport compact and removing the sport aspect and leaving yourself nothing but a big hassle.
ok so i have been thinking thru the day i clearly understand the whole hella flush stage. i am really losing interest quickly i just really liked how the lip would stick out from the tire and how it sat.. i guess all i want is flush look i was thinking of buying Subaru Impreza STI GDB GR+ Coilovers just because i heard there pretty good and there adjustable and i wanna run these rims XXR 521 18x10 Flat Black 5-114.3/5-120 [+25mm] just not sure what kind of tires would fit those. would this set up "so be called hella flush?" or the rims size is to big? too wide?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wally's World
My setup may not be super aggresive but it is flush and less expensive. I have rota 18x9 +35 offset with 235/40/18 tires, cobb springs, rolled rear fenders. No neg camber, no issues with rubbing except on huge bumps, no problems with wheel bearings. Just watch out for steep driveways
do you have a pic of your car?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Technical Know-It-All

XXRs should be avoided like the plague. They are among the worst quality wheels (if not the worst) available for our cars. I've won money betting that a set of random XXRs were damaged. And 18x10 +25 will stick way out past the fender. And Stance coilovers are junk.

Originally Posted by Black sti
Assuming i have no money.
assuming i dont know anything about how cars work..
With the parts you listed above, that sounds like a pretty valid assessment.

Last edited by Brfatal; 05-08-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
XXRs should be avoided like the plague. They are among the worst quality wheels (if not the worst) available for our cars. I've won money betting that a set of random XXRs were damaged. And 18x10 +25 will stick way out past the fender. And Stance coilovers are junk.

With the parts you listed above, that sounds like a pretty valid assessment.
i got this information from people here
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
you really made me not want to ever post anything on here again or even ask for any help.
Mission accomplished.

If you're the type of person who takes the assumptions of other people expressed in public forum over the Internet so seriously that they make you lose faith in community and humanity then I hope you don't keep posting.

If my assumptions were wrong then your first post wouldn't have happened.

Welcome to the Internet, to avoid this in the future you could try learning the ways of the mystical search button.

Am I trolling yet?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
ok so i have been thinking thru the day i clearly understand the whole hella flush stage. i am really losing interest quickly i just really liked how the lip would stick out from the tire and how it sat.. i guess all i want is flush look i was thinking of buying Subaru Impreza STI GDB GR+ Coilovers just because i heard there pretty good and there adjustable and i wanna run these rims XXR 521 18x10 Flat Black 5-114.3/5-120 [+25mm] just not sure what kind of tires would fit those. would this set up "so be called hella flush?" or the rims size is to big? too wide?
That is going to require a lot of work to fit. You will need front and rears rolled and pulled, max camber and stretched tires for sure, something like 225 would work, and even then you may still rub.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
Just stick with 17x8 like BRfatal said so you can be as cool as him...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Technical Know-It-All

i got this information from people here
Not everyone here is a pillar of wisdom. You get budget parts, you tend to get budget results.

Quick Reply: I need some guidance with a hella flush set up