Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Hit a curb w/right rear wheel. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Car Info: 06 Impreza Sport Wagon
Angry Hit a curb w/right rear wheel. Help!

I hit a curb and now the right rear wheel has a positive camber (lower part of the tire closer to the opposite). Any ideas whether it's the control arm, strut, hub, etc? It was at a low speed and there's no vibration, sounds, etc. If anybody else has had this problem or knows about this stuff, you're input would be appreciated. Also, anybody know of anyplace in the Chicago area I could get it fixed reliably and cheaply? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 AM

Car Info: 2002 Bug-Eye WRX
This is exactly what happened to me!!! I took it to Sears Auto Center just to see what was wron and surprisingly he said that I twisted my trailing link and bent my hub. Also my strut was bent too. Does this sound like what would happen?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
that sounds about right /\. You DEF. have stuff thats bent.....Things to check that could be bent:

rear strut
rim
lateral links
trailing arms
hub

other possible damage could include:

bent rear sway bar (and/or endlinks)
broken RSB mounts (this happened to me, it broke in the middle of a hard turn, sending me into the curb)
CV joints on the rear half shafts

Good luck, and any way you look at it, its not gonna be "cheap" to repair. I hit a curb awhile back with my drivers front side.......I bent my rim badly, and bent my lower control arm.....all in all.....about $600 damage....and I was lucky. Gotta watchout for those curbs, they are notorious for jumping infront of Subies.

-Ted

Last edited by GotBoost?; 01-19-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:54 PM

Exclamation ...

It isn't my rim cuz I put it on a spin balancer just to make sure and it is ok...very low speed curb tap

Anyway, is installing the hub difficult...I have never had to replace one and was wondering if anyone could possibly show me a thread that might help in my install...That would be awesome!!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ricerocketracer; 01-19-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
The "Failure point" for a subaru's rear suspension or what is supposed to take all the heat from a hit like that is the hub/axle carrier area. www.subaruparts.com helped me out a lot in seeing what parts I was ordering and getting good prices. Start out with the trailing arm, hub bearing axle carrier, from there install that and then see what else needs to be done. Also check the strut where the bolts meet the actual strut, that bracket should be bent, get a new strut as well.

I am speaking from experience, and trust me if someone had told me the info I just told you I woulda been a lot better off.

Cheers, and good luck
Austin
Old 01-20-2006, 04:50 AM

Exclamation Confused as Usual?

Sorry...a little confused...is a hub bearing axle carrier different from a hub???...if not then the hub isn't necessary to replace???...And I will replace the strut, strut mount, trailing link, its bracket (just in case, for $12 i couldnt go wrong), and my 2 lateral links cuz i already have the parts...the guy at sears told me i would also have to replace my hub...so confused......HELP?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=281-1

Part # 28413 - Axle Housing

The axle carrier is actually called the axle housing, my mistake, you can use the hub if it is not damaged but you will need to get a new bearing and have it pressed into the axle housing.

Any other questions feel free to ask
Austin
Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Talking Review

ok...Let's Review...I need...

Lateral Links(purchased)
Trailing Link(purchased)
Strut
Strut Mount?
Axle Housing
Rear Axle Bearing
hub?

Let me know if I have missed even the smallest part or if any of the above are wrong...And what the possibilities if any that the axel housing might NOT be bent...well I can dream...also...could my sway bar and the other things "GotBoost?" mentioned at the end of his post be bent...it was only at about 5mph and wasn't that hard of a tap...just enough that....i don't know!!! I'm so confused!! Thanks!

P.S...Is there a way to tell if my hub is bent without taking it off cuz i cant pull off my brakes to inspect til I install the rest of the parts cuz I can't afford downtime...thx

Last edited by ricerocketracer; 01-20-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Try what you have there, and then get it aligned, if anything else is slightly bent, the alignment tech. will tell you/ show you.

Cheers and good luck,
Austin
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I hit a curb awhile back with my drivers front side.......I bent my rim badly, and bent my lower control arm.....all in all.....about $600 damage....and I was lucky. Gotta watchout for those curbs, they are notorious for jumping infront of Subies.

-Ted
Ugh - I just did this on Thursday. I have a used control arm on the way, and oddly enough I had already ordered new struts, springs and a Whiteline ALK + endlinks. Should I replace the control arm bushings and the nuts too? Dang..
Attached Thumbnails Hit a curb w/right rear wheel. Help!-control.arm.jpg  
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I got my control arm today. I asked for a '00-'01 control arm. They sent me an '02 control arm. I called and the guy said his computer says '97-2003 is the same and I need to try it first before I get a refund. FECKING AWESOME. What happens if I want a hood and they send me a mirror. Do I still have to try to put it on first?

So.. Just to confirm - '02 control arm will not fit an '01 right?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 00 RS
good luck with that.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 00 RS
A 96 forester control arm will fit a 00' rs. so it might work.