Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Help needed to diagnose steering wheel vibration at 80MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Unhappy Help needed to diagnose steering wheel vibration at 80MPH

Hey guys,
On my 04 STI with 74K on the odometer, factory suspension, balanced tires and no alignment problems, I get a vibration in the steering wheel at 80MPH and above. Basically the steering wheel jitters back and forth a little, even on perfectly smooth roads, you can feel it slightly in the cabin but not too bad. I have taken it into a friend's shop and he diagnosed it as bad wheel bearings after looking at tire wear (slight cupping) and going underneath the car and applying repeated upward pressure to the wheels while the car was jacked up to see if the play was in the wheel bearings or tie rods, and also rotated the tires and did a road test but the vibration still existed. Has anyone else had this vibration problem? I have a factory extended warranty with Subaru but need to look through my paperwork to see if the wheel bearings are covered (may not be since I've been told it is a wear and tear part). Any other possible causes and fixes?
TIA!
Benny
Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
I looked at my warranty paperwork and the hub/bearings are covered so I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Unfortunately I have a $100 deductible.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
Causes could be:

Bad tire
Unevenly worn tire
Out of balance wheel(s)
Wheel Bearing
Tie rod end
Bad bushings
CV axel
Drive Shaft

Sounds like the wheel bearing or tie rod end to me as you already mentioned
Old 07-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Car Info: '04 Silver WRX
I'm having this similiar problem too (steering wheel vibrates at or above 80mph). But I have bald tires and I'm in the process to change it to see if that might be my problem..

My warranty has already passed (since the factory warranty is only good till30k)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx sedan
Red face vibrations

Are your front rims bent? Can you remember if you hit a bump or run over a deep pot hole? I would assume something is bent. You said, you only feel the vibration at or above 80mph.... A good guess also is the wheel bearings. If thats the case do you sense any grinding associated with the bearing rubbing against the hub.

"only the dead know the end of war"
Old 08-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2005 Honda Civic
you wouldn't necessarily feel a vibration if it was the wheel bearing, especially if there's no play with it. if it were the hub it'll make a humming sound and get higher as you go faster (if there's no play at least). cupped tires won't make it vibrate either, but it will make it sound as if a bearing was going bad. i would suggest rechecking your suspension, if that checks out ok and the balance on the tires is ok, meaning .25 ounces to 0 ounces off then i would recommend checking the steering gear on the rack and pinion, could possibly be that the steering shaft may be a little loose.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx 04
Originally Posted by frisco-wrx-dude
I'm having this similiar problem too (steering wheel vibrates at or above 80mph). But I have bald tires and I'm in the process to change it to see if that might be my problem..

My warranty has already passed (since the factory warranty is only good till30k)
fastest posted speed limit in CA is 65? do that should fix the problem