Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Help Me Pick Brake Pads for Street Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Help Me Pick Brake Pads for Street Driver

As part of my run up to my 30k service, I checked out the brake pads last night and saw that I have just at, or slightly below, 1/8th of an inch of friction material left. The squeaker clips are about 1/16th-1/32nd above the rotor. As far as I can tell, the rotors are just fine. This means it's time to choose a new pad!

The car is a 2005 Impreza 2.5RS. 90% of the time, this car is just the runabout. It takes me to work, takes the fiancee to the grocery, and sleeps in the parking lot. Once a month or so, we head down to Hocking Hills, where the car gets quite a workout. It's a very hilly area with lots of tight turns. I will soon be hitting the occasional auto-x. Were I to ever track the car, I would bite the bullet and buy real track pads.

I'm a little paranoid about pad fade due to 2 incidences of setting pads on fire at the aforementioned Hocking Hills. To date, I've not faded the pads on this car due to the fact that I've been bending over backwards to make sure I go easy on them. So the car is getting ATE Super Blue fluid and stainless lines. I don't give a damn about dust, my car isn't s carpet queen. Noise, however, I do hate. I also live in Ohio, which means there'll be some mornings I need to be able to stop when the pads are at 0F.

The contenders are:
1) OEM Pads
2) Axxis Ultimates
3) Carbotech Bobcats
4) Hawk HPS

All of these are in the same price neighborhood. I'll stick with the OEMs if someone can tell me they won't fade on me. I'll upgrade if I'm likely to nuke the OEM pads the first time I really use them. Let me know what you all think.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM

I should mention, I suppose, that even though I have not done anything to cause fade in the stock setup yet, I am entering territory where past experience with OEM pads has led me to suspect it will happen.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
OEM pads suck. Honestly I have not changed mine yet and I have not tried any of the above listed pads but many people have used the Axxis and the Carbotech's.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Actually, I decided on the Bobcats. I put them on the car two weeks ago. Dead silent and much more heat-tolerant than stock.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
HAWK HPS are pretty good.
Went with them last year (before the 06 came out) as they were recommended due to carrying the 4 pot pads.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
The HAWK HPS are really good I used to have them.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by williaty
Actually, I decided on the Bobcats. I put them on the car two weeks ago. Dead silent and much more heat-tolerant than stock.

How about dusting? You still have stock rotors right?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:12 AM

The Bobcats dusted violently on initial use in bed-in. In other words, in the first hour they were on, everything turned black. However, in the 1k miles since then, they've not left any perceptable dust on the wheels at all. So I'd have to say pretty minimal dust once they're worn-in.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:34 AM

Great, it's time to do mine so I'll probably go with those. Thanks