Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Help - how to install Eibach rear camber bolts - '03 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Help - how to install Eibach rear camber bolts - '03 WRX?

I got my camber bolts, but this doesn't make any sense at all. I have searched and searched, can find nothing on how to install them. The instructions make no comment of the odd washer things with the spikes and bent tab. Anyone have a how-to or any ideas?? I have tried it a few ways, and it doesn't even fit..

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 07-15-2004, 06:47 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Jacob,

Since you're going to need an alignment after the bolts anyway, I would suggest you just have Auto Innovations install the bolt when they do the alignment. They do great work and have special deals for Subies.

That being said, I'm assuming the EIbach is just the same as the ones I had (I think they started with an "H") on my 02. The bolt should look significantly smaller than the stock bolt. I never quite figured out the orientation of the washer with the tab, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Insert the bolt into the top hole in the same direction as the stock bolt. Thread and tighten the nut on the backside until it is finger tight. Now turn the bolt head until the desired camber is reached. Then hold the bolt head tight with a wrench and torque the nut on the backside to the proper setting.

If your bolt doesn't fit in the hole at all, you may have the wrong size bolt.

They should look something similar to this, with a lobe:
Old 07-15-2004, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Thanks man - I managed to figure it out just in time for it to be too late to bang on metal objects in my driveway. The instructions specify 'the small tab' and there are two tabs - a small one and a big one. By 'the small tab' they actually mean the big one. And the bolt is the right size, it's just that the threads on the stock bolts had dug into the spindle a little. Too much catch air asmuch? Anyway, I am gonna run home at lunch and put it together. I jusss wanna drive mah caaaah.

BTW - mine look sorta like that, but the washers are round with a bent tab coming off, and on the side facing the strut housing - they have little spikes to dig in and locate the washer. Mostly it was obvious, and somewhat similar to the stock bolts - but I just wanted to be 100% sure I am doing this right since.. Suspension is sorta important. I cannot believe they send these out to people to install with such cryptic instructions. I mean, you can figure it out - but what a liability!!

-Jacob
Old 07-16-2004, 10:43 AM

Car Info: WRX Wagon
Really important...notice that little bent piece on the inside of the washer? It is very important that this piece wedges in between the camber bolt and the hole. This does two things...it sets the basic orientation to negative or positive camber be pushing the hub towards the inside or outside of the strut hole. fine tuning is then accomplished by rotating the camber bolt. the little nub also helps to prevent the camber bolt from rotating. i installed camber bolts on my car and failed to realize the importance of this little nub. I didn't see how it mattered which way the little tab/ear was oriented as stated in the directions. I just oriented the tab like the directions said to then cranked down on them. Without making sure the nub entered the strut hole, I just smashed the nub flat, negating its function. Now I know better. Good thing these things are not too expensive.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Arnie
Really important...notice that little bent piece on the inside of the washer?
Exactly. And NO MENTION of this tab's existence in the instructions, or anywhere on the Interweb (tm) before your post. This is what I am talking about, it's very important!! Why not put it in the instructions? I got them in and everything's fine though - I wanted to see just how much positive camber you can get out of it. Turns out, a lot. Haha.. Time for an alignment.

Thanks for your post - hopefully the next person that goes to do this won't be so confused!! Once i put it together, it makes since - the little tab is what makes the cam have any effect on the camber since it's actually the same diameter as the stock bolt. But yeah, I went to tighten everything and was like.. What do I do with that thing? Then it began to make sense..

Thanks!!

-Jacob
Old 07-16-2004, 12:09 PM

Car Info: WRX Wagon
Whew, glad you caught that, unlike me! yeah, no mention whatsover in anyone's instructions. they all just say to align the tab inwards or outwards to get neg or pos camber. No mention of the little nub and that it has to slot into the hole. I think this is one reason why people have always complained that the camber bolts tend to slip, no matter how hard they tighten them.