Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Handling inconsistancy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:55 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
That sounds more like a memory steer problem...
Old 03-30-2003, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
No, sway bars alter the loads the tires are carrying to add grip. They don't affect alignment. Do you mean you have bump steer (hit a bump and it turns the wheel) or tramlining (the car just sorta moves laterally following the lines or imperfections of the pavement)? Bump steer is most commonly caused by using wheels with incorrect offset or different diameter tires. Tramlining is mostly because of the tires. Performance tires have a higher tendency to do it than all-seasons- my S-03s havea mind of their own on the highway. Let us know what all mods you have and we might be able to figure it out. Right now it just sounds like you need an alignment.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:36 AM

Remember that when in a turn, with a bigger sway bar, it will feel like the rear outside tire has increased spring rate because of the sway bar twisting and keeping the suspension from compressing due to one side of the suspension dropping and one side raising.

yay?
Old 03-31-2003, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

My '02 wrx wagon does the exact same thing. With everything stock except for sway bars, the car needs to be finessed to keep a line. (it did it before the sway bars, btw)

I think alignment angles may change when the car is under load in a turn. I'm going to go for koni inserts and tein s techs (or eibachs) and hopefully it will help. Probably doing the struts alone would help because the car seems to bounce like it is underdamped already.