Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Had tires installed last night and now there's clunking when going over speedbumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM

Car Info: nothing right now
Had tires installed last night and now there's clunking when going over speedbumps

At first I thought the sway bar was not fit right but looked at Soggy's and it looks right.

Could it be the springs are not seated correctly?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm trying to think of what could have changed only by having your wheels taken on and off. I'd recommend taking off your wheels, making sure they sit flush to the hub and then retorquing down your lugs. Sometimes tire shops are lazy, and don't always mount the wheels back on the way they should.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks man, it just sounds like the sway bar is hitting the bottom of the car...

I'll be going back today after work but I'm just afraid that when I get there, they'll have no idea since they only put tires on and not suspension.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Weird, went over some speedbumps during lunch and didn't hear anything...

Real test will be after work when I got through 84.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
I just had my sway bar links bend and cause the sway bar to "flip" and that's part of what the clunk was. Have you checked the sway bar links under your car? Tire installation would not have anything to do with this but if you jack the car up, the flipped sway bar would un-flip and that may be why you are getting a clunk now.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Car Info: a 2.5RS not an 04PSMWRX
if the clunking is coming from your rear, check your rear sway bar bushing, mine use to always come loose and it would make a clunking noise whenever i hit a bump or potholes (damnit cusco, why do your bushing suck!)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

While I was looking underneath the car, Soggy was hopping on the rear and there was no clunk. Guess I gotta see when I leave work.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

If I still hear it going home, then I'll retighten the bolts and check the bushing.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM

look okay?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
I do not see anything out of the ordinary. Look for any rub marks where something may be hitting. It may be the endlinks flopping against the bar or from side to side.

Is it still doing it? It is possible the spring moved for some reason and now seated, btu doubtful.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 PM

didn't hear any clunking coming home, odd.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Car Info: wrx sti 04
hey guys i have sti 04 and i do have the clunk too,that is the problem from the coilover,most of the wrx and sti got this clunk,i have him for a 2 mounts and this friday i am going to buy new suspension,i spoke with a lot of people,so they sad that most of the sti's and wrx had the clunk,i am living in chicago and if u ever heard P & l Motorsport,and AMS performance they sad the clunk will gone after i change the suspension,i spend money for a stut top mount n groupe cuz i was thinkin that is the problem but nothing changed,so what can i say...i just gonna spend money for endura tech and thas is it
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM

i change my end link cuz the sway bar was 'flip' and crash the end links but i still have the clunk,if someone had the clunk and he fixed and it was gone tell me how can i fix my clunk,10x

Last edited by hannibal; 11-06-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
The STI clunk is a different issue coming from the upper portion of an STI strut. I do not believe this is true of the wrx
Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 AM

i dont know that for sure but know the wrx and sti 04 got the same suspension just the difference is the top mount inside the sti's got bigger space,that what ams performance told me , i changed them with N group but still got the clunk ,so i just gonna buy endura coilovers
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM

UPDATE: it's still there, however, not as pronounced as before. also, it is definitely coming from the driver's side. i didn't get a chance to tighten everything or take a look underneath but it's just strange that the process of putting new tires on has caused this annoying sound.

Quick Reply: Had tires installed last night and now there's clunking when going over speedbumps