Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

GC8 STi tarmac springs on V5 struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 PM

Car Info: MY98 Impreza L
GC8 STi tarmac springs on V5 struts

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this setup or can school me on the risks using the stiffer springs on the V5 struts. I just installed my prodrive P1 setup recently and would like to put the tarmac springs in place of the softer P1s. Would anyone be interested in the P1 springs?

Tuan
Old 10-14-2003, 09:09 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
STi tarmac springs are going to be STIFF. i've got JDM ver. 8 spec-c springs, and they're quite stiff. the tarmac springs are the stiffest ones that STi makes, and probably aren't something you're going to want to have on your car day in and day out. you might try the STi lowering springs instead.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. Stiff is what I wanted. The P1 springs are pretty compliant and the ride seems almost like a stock RS. But you can really feel them when you push them through turns. I think they are rated 217/195. I was looking for the stiffest spring for GC8s and 280/275 seems about a good rate. Most american muscle cars have easily 300+ springs. I don't mind the ride. By the way, if I do get the tarmacs... the P1s will be up for sale. Anyone interested?

Tuan
Old 10-14-2003, 09:38 PM

keep in mind that most american muscle cars also weigh more than a subaru, and need stiffer springs to hold up the weight. i've taken my setup auto-crossing, and there was a real lack of body roll through the corners. on the street, the springs are stiff enough that my girlfriend complains that they hurt.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:32 AM

I was wondering around 90 degree turns, what are the average max speeds that sports cars are able to accomplish. I have seen an improvement in the cornering speed with the my setup but was wondering what everyones elses numbers are, especially the wrx, sti, porches, corvettes and etc. Sorry if I seem infatuated with handling.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:37 AM

hey no worries, i'm a handling junkie too. i've done nothing but suspension and braking work to my WRX as of yet (but there are some horsepower parts waiting in the garage).

you're going to have a hard time finding numbers about 90 degree turns, most handling evaluations are done on tracks, auto-x courses, or slalom courses. the first two could have 90 degree turns, but unless they include split times through a section of 90 degree corners, you're not going to get any hard numbers. corner speed has so many variables in it, the angle of the corner is just one of them.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:26 PM

Ok, I'm not talking about documented numbers. I meant personal experience. I know that speeding through a right hand 90 degree turn is illegal and dangerous on the street, but a lot of you autocross and track your vehicles. I just wanted to know what are the top speeds that people take their cars through these types of turns so I can have an idea where my car fits in. Does 55-60mph through a 90 degree turn sound ridiculous? I talked to some MK3 supra guys and they said that they push their cars around about 35mph max. What kind of driving style or technique do people use: powerslide, powerover, trailthrottling, late break hard acceleration out, and etc? I'm not promoting dangerous illegal street racing or driving. I'm just interested in peoples experiences about subbies and sports cars.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:47 PM

it depends on the radius of the bend. there is a section of 90 degree right/left/right/left or left/right/left/right bends (depending on the direction that you're travelling) near my house marked at 15-20 mph, and i regularly drive through there at 40mph without thinking about it. so yeah, depending on the corner in question i don't see any reason why you couldn't drive through a 90 degree bend at 60mph. Turn 1 at thunderhill is isn't exactly 90 degrees, but it's a 100+ mph turn.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:02 PM

Sorry, I just wanted to know what car do you drive and what kind of mods do you have besides the spec-c struts and springs?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:49 PM

'03 WRX, Cusco front and rear sway bars, front and rear endlinks, whiteline ALK, ver 8 struts, springs, tophats...i think that's it.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:11 PM

Are the P1 springs really that compliant? I've got the P1 struts and springs waiting to be installed on my '00 Impreza L. I was a bit worried about them being too stiff, since Mike Shields descibes them as "hardcore sport, one notch below harsh", or something like that. I can't wait to get them on, especially since I'll have to switch to winter tires in a month or so.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:19 PM

I have an Impreza L also and maybe I hyped the P1 to be harsh before I put them on, but my initial feeling was...they are stiffer and the quite firm, but it still feels like a stock car, the ride is similar to the RS models. I haven't had to adjust my speeds over bumps, and slight pot holes here and there. My friend has a stock trans am and it rides so much more stiffer. There was less body roll after I installed the kit but when the struts and springs settle, you won't remember the increase harshness at all. I guess it is good if you only intend to use it for the street driving.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info. You've eased my worries. I think I'll be happy with the P1, I drive mainly backroads, sometimes at speeds over the limit . I'm thinking of maybe autocrossing in the future, after a few more mods.