Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

front sway bar torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 03:26 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
front sway bar torque specs

my Cusco front swaybar and MRT front end links should be waiting for me when i get home this evening, and i'm planning on installing it this weekend. does anyone have the torque specs for the sway bar mounts and endlinks? i know the rears are 18ft/lbs for the mounts, and 33ft/lbs for the endlinks, are the fronts the same? any help is appreciated, since Cusco's instructions are in Japanese, and my Japanese sucks.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:55 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
luckily, i am fluent in all languages spoken by humans. as well as some spoken by other intelligent mammals. but i digress.

the torque specs for the front are the same as for the rear. be sure and use some good grease in the bushings or else you will get some squeaky squeak action when you go over bumps. i use slick 50 grease in a gun. it works better than most others i've tried.

EDIT: not the gun. the grease.

Last edited by Steppin Razor; 06-12-2003 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 PM

thanks, my fluency in German and Canine doesn't really help me much when i'm reading instructions from Japan (though i can translate post-modern German philosophy perfectly well).

when i installed the rear, i made sure to grease the bushings quite well with the same waterproof grease that i've always used on my dirtbikes, and street bike axles. works like a charm, and i haven't had the slightest squeak or clunk from the rear, even with the Perrin links.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I think I've finally worn my front bushings down far enough that they no longer squeak. It only took six months. When I put them on, I used some cheap lithium grease from Walmart, and within 3 days they were squeaking like crazy. I read up about the good grease (graphite-based) to use, but everytime I get under the car, I decide that the sound is not as much of a hassle as un-torqueing and re-torqueing all the bolts required. Now it only squeaks when it gets wet.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:40 AM

i'm so used to using a torque wrench that it doesn't even take a second though for me (as long as i know/remember the torque specs, which i'm rapidly learning for the WRX). i use my torque wrench so much, that i've actually though about buying an electronic torque meter to use when i can't get my big torque wrench into a tight spot. for me crawling under the car to retorque bolts isn't a big deal, but then again, i can't stand squeaking bushings
on the grease topic, i just checked the label of the stuff i used this morning. it's Bel-Ray automotive/marine grade grease that *never* comes off. it's quite good stuff, and i'd reccomend it highly over anything you can buy at Wal-Mart.