Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Forgot to cut Bumpstops after Spring install...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 AM

Car Info: Vishnu Stg.1 2003 WRX
Forgot to cut Bumpstops after Spring install...

Whats up everyone. I recently installed Progress springs on my 03 WRX, and I completely forgot to cut the bumpstops. The good news is that I can just cut them without removing the whole strut/spring assembly since that was a PITA. The car is kinda bouncy and seems to kinda bottom out, and I know it is because of the bumpstops not being cut. My question is: how much do I need cut the front bumpstops? The stock bumpstops are divided into 3 pieces from small to big. The spring up front is lowered to 1.8 inches. Please advice. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
You should be fine, but I think cutting them in half may work fine.. Just do a little bit at a time. The bumpstops are supposed to be "tuned" to your springate, but since that is really hard and impossible to do, just use them to protect your shocks from bottoming out.

Start by cutting half and see how it feels from there.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM

What's the stock bumpstop length- anybody??

Thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subie
Originally Posted by SlobaruWRX
Whats up everyone. I recently installed Progress springs on my 03 WRX, and I completely forgot to cut the bumpstops. The good news is that I can just cut them without removing the whole strut/spring assembly since that was a PITA. The car is kinda bouncy and seems to kinda bottom out, and I know it is because of the bumpstops not being cut. My question is: how much do I need cut the front bumpstops? The stock bumpstops are divided into 3 pieces from small to big. The spring up front is lowered to 1.8 inches. Please advice. Thanks.
Hey watsup man. I've been trying to contact you about the trunk swap we talked about. Let me know if you're still interested. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Exclamation Best Way To Check If You Hit The Bump Stops!

Originally Posted by SlobaruWRX
Most spring manufactures recommend one section off the BOTTOM ~ you probably only need to do the front as well. Cut the fronts ~ then check it out.

If you feel the back hitting the bumps then cut those as well?

Don't know what your feeling?

Pull a zip tie tight (cinch with needle nose) on the rod one half inch above the bump-stop. Drive. If you come back home and the zip is squished into the bump-stop start cutting cutting again. Do this until the zip ties don't move from where you put them and you are tuned & ready to rock brotha!

Last edited by NW OBS; 05-26-2006 at 08:41 PM.