Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

experience with sleeve coilovers and struts??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Car Info: wrx
experience with sleeve coilovers and struts??

i was interested in gettin some tokico shocks and skunk2 coilovers. not sure if ground control makes some for the wrx, but those are also good coilovers. i used to have ground controls and tokicos on my honda and the ride was great! i figured the setup would run $600, which is about $400 cheaper than a basic coilover setup so i'd save money and still have a great ride. dont forget the fact that i can easily replace the shocks if they go bad, instead of sending out the coilover setup to get rebuilt.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I’m running GC coils/CC plates with Koni’s (around $1400) and I’m very happy with them http://www.ground-control-store.com/...gory.php/CA=90. I don’t know if I would feel safe running a strut other than Koni since there are issues with GC’s front upper spring perches taking up a lot of strut travel. With the Koni’s you can do a spacer modification that allows the insert to drop around 1” farther into the strut body which adds around 1" of travel. I didn’t end up with much travel and I did the spacer mod and GC top mount cc plates which also helped me gain some strut travel (ride height 13.75” from hub to fender lip).

How much do you plan on dropping the car?

BTW, According to what I’ve read the Skunk2’s aren’t great (I have no experience with them) and I didn’t think tokico made struts for a WRX.

Joe
Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Car Info: wrx
skunk2 is aite. i prefer ground controls, too. the thing is... those coilovers run at around $400. the struts run around $300-$400. you might as well get a complete coilover system for an extra $100 (ie: helix DNA, tein basic damper, or megan coilovers) or go with a spring/strut combo.

it's all preference...
Old 01-14-2006, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
The GC setup is close to the same price of the coilovers you mentioned but if you already have the struts like I did it’s a good way to go.

I was under the impression (not sure) that Skunk2 didn’t use Eibach racing springs, you couldn’t pick you’re rates and they used very high rates (400#ish). Is this true, if not what rates do they run?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
you should just get the coilover's that's made for our cars (teins,cusco,helix etc)..from what i've heard and seen is that the skunk2's is for honda's and such...tru it mite ride great in a honda but in a subaru it ride's totally different..a friend has them on his wrx and you guessed it..he's a former honda owner..finally after bouncing all over the place with those he got tein coilovers and couldnt be happier..