Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Do camber plates increase road noise? If so how much??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 04:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
Do camber plates increase road noise? If so how much??

I know this sounds like a stupid question and a month ago it wouldn't have mattered, but here's my situation. These plates make noticable differences during autocrosses so I want to install them, but I started school recently and it's near 50 miles away and I go three times a week so if these plates increase road noise especially at high speed (80mph) it may get to me and I may have to wait on them. By the way if your wondering why I'm driving 50 miles to school it's because it's flight school to fly helicopters. That I'll drive 50 miles for. Anyway getting back to it your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 03 Blu WRX, vf 34, headers, catless, gc coilovers, f/r sways
What kind of camber plates are you thinking of? Front/rear both? Give us a bit more info. I run Ground control top mount front plates and noltec rear plates and yes together they make quite a bit of noise.

However, I like to do track days and run -2.6 front/ -1.5 degrees of camber and I can't get that without camber plates.

If you don't like the noise you probably won't like the extra wear on your tires from the aggressive camber settings.

Jim
Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

We'll here are the specifics. I want to install Cuscos, but just up front. I figured I'd just use some camber bolts in the rear and set them at -1 to -1.5 degrees and leave them. The front and rear will be set the same for the street and during events the fronts will be approx -1 degrees greater than the rear. I'm not really to concerned about tire wear right now because I have a dedicated set of tires/wheels for autox and the street tires are the re-92's which I could care less about. I've also heard that rear plates are much noisier than front plates. Whether that's true or not though, I don't know. Thanks again
Old 12-21-2004, 10:35 PM

I think you are correct in your thinking. The fron nvh is less than the rear because there is more noise up there anyways and there is more noise dampening under the hood.

As I said before I have noltecs in the rear, they do add more noise but I found if I pack the area over the plate with carpet padding it deadens it a bit, but it is still a bit noisey.

You might try the group n mounts in the rear ad they give a better response and probably aren't as noisey at plates.

I would go for the front plates, the better handeling is worth the noise.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the advice Jim, I think I will go for front plates. I know what NVH is, but I was wondering what the letters stand for? I figure this is as good as time as any to ask.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 PM

Noise, Virbration, Harshness

The 3 most important elements of feeling how your car is riding on the road.