Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

dilemma: springs/shocks vs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Smile dilemma: springs/shocks vs coilovers

ok i am about to buy suspension for my 02 wrx wagon, but i have a dilemma should i get shocks and springs or should i get coilovers. ive been looking into getting sti pink springs and KYB AGX shocks from gruppe-s.com. but then again i have always liked the jic flt-a2's. i have also read alot of post and it seems alot of people like their tein flex's. i want better cornering and handling because i love those back country roads, but i also want a relativly smooth ride for when ive got ladies in the car (dont want to give them a bumpy ride, im such a gentleman). i would really appreciate any input or advice on this. thanks!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
You can get the Tein's with the EDFC and your damping is adjustable from the driver's seat so when you want it soft it can be, and when you want to attack those back roads you can make it stiffer.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:09 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Coils definetly if you want the performance. However most people dont do the corner weights ...they just install and count the threads. If done incorrectly they can do damage to your remaining suspension components not to mention detract from performance.

-K
Old 06-08-2004, 08:15 AM

thanks guys for the input, but specifiacally whats the difference between springs and shock, and coilovers? just the adjustability?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:19 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
I bought the STi pinks and KYBs. I love them but the ride is a lot bumpier than stock but after some suspension tweaking it handles like a dream. I can easily keep up with my friend's EVO through the corners now but the ladies won't like em. You might want to get coilovers for the sake of adjustability (and the "ladies" ). In my case I wanted performance and low price .... this combo costs half as much as coilovers, I don't know if price is a factor for you. Also to adjust the rear KYBs you have to take out the rear seat (a small PITA)....
Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 AM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
If comfort is a premium to you, the JIC FLT A2s is too harsh of a ride. They are meant for performance oriented driving (trackdays, auto-x, etc.), not daily commuting. I have Prodrive springs/ AGXs set at 3 front/4 rear, and they are not nearly as stiff and as harsh as the JICs. If you want improvement in handling without sacrificing too much ride comfort and money, look into Eibach Pro-kit (wagon specific) w/ KYB AGXs. Since you have a wagon, access to the dampening/rebound adjuster in the rear is real easy (it's the sedan that you have to takeout the rear seat to access the adjusting ****). It would be a good idea to get rides from people w/ different suspension set-ups to see for yourself how each one feels. Just my $.02 in.

-Soren
Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Doh! I forgot you have a wagon .... no need to pull out seats. Redrex is right, its only for the sedan that you have to do this. Funny thing is I also have my KYBs set to 3 front/ 4 rear with the STi pinks (prodrives and STi pinks are very similar in their drop and spring rates) and I personally wouldn't go stiffer than that. STi pinks are very bearable, its stiff but not bone jarring stiff and the amount it drops the car is just right (for me at least)...
Old 06-08-2004, 05:10 PM

yeah, i dont want that much of a drop, and the sti pinks looked like 1 inch would be the best. yeah i definitly want improved handling, and $1500+ for tein flexs is just a bit steep for me. especially since i plan on getting a set of gauges (ive been looking at the defi bf series). well i live in fairfield (near sacramento) any chance i could get a ride sometime to see what the suspension ride is like sometime? hehe
Old 06-08-2004, 05:12 PM

one second thought i just looked at where everyone is at and i guess reddres is the closest one to me...
Old 06-13-2004, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
by the time you get a good shock/spring/tophat/pillowball mount combo, it might be close to the price of coilovers.

example.

koni yellows-550
ground controls-400
pillowball mounts (F & R) 400ish

of course you can buy a different spring, or get sti struts, or use sti tophats or oem tophats...
Old 06-14-2004, 01:14 AM

alright well since graduation is over i have some more money burning a hole in my pocket...im thinking of now going with the tein flex coilovers...what else needs to be done or purchased for flex's to fit the ol' wagon?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:56 PM

wow thanks alot for that post it helped alot, i am now reconsidering what suspention to get "again". well, this is basically what i want from my suspention: i do not to track at all, autox looks fun and i might try it but other than that nothing up that alley. my car is daily driven so i want something somewhat comfortable, i know upgrading susp. will not give the same ride, but i usually have passengers and i dont want them to feel like theyre on a cheap canival ride when theyre in my car. but most of all i love back country roads or mountain pass roads, so i want something that will make it so i can take those oh so sexy curves, and still stick. last but not least i make very frequent trips up to tahoe to go snowboarding in the winter, so i dont want to drop the car that much (plus i rather like the stock height), so im thinking a drop no larger than...1 inch or so... so then are shocks and springs right up my alley?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:06 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
My impression of your needs as far as suspension goes does not justify spending $1500 at the least for a good set of coilovers. IMHO, I suggest going w/ the Springs/Strut combo. Either the Eibach Pro-kit (wagon specific) or the STI Pink Springs matched w/ the KYB AGX struts would cost no more than $900 shipped. You can spend the rest of the money ($1500-900= $600) on better tires and a rear swaybar/endlink combo. Then you'd be set for spirited driving w/ a better handling car overall.

-Soren
Old 06-15-2004, 02:06 PM

awesome, you took my current thoughts right out of my head, so i will most likely go with the sti pinks. i was reading up on the eibach prokit and it seems theres a slight sagging in the rear on the wagon because of the extra weight. should i expect the same from the sti pinks?

Quick Reply: dilemma: springs/shocks vs coilovers