Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Dealer replace rusted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Dealer replace rusted rotors?

Hello all,

Before I commit myself to the all-day job of painting my rusted brake rotors, I wonder if any of you have been able to convince your dealer to replace them under warranty. My understanding is that the unpainted/uncoated rotors were only on 2002 WRX models from the first half of that year (when my car was made) and that late 2002, 2003 and 2004 models come with rotors that are pre-painted black. My rotors are CRAZY rusted -- on the left front rotor, every inch of the rotor that is not a contact point with the pads is deep orange. Note that this is in Arizona, a very dry climate!

The fact that they started stocking the painted rotors at all seems to be an admission that there is a problem with the unpainted ones -- at least that's the argument I am going to use when I take the car in next week. What do you think my chances are in getting them replaced? Are they a drivetrain warranty item? Unlike most dealer experiences reported on this board (people only tell horror stories, never praise online it seems) my dealer has been excellent, "winking" at my Perrin air filter and giving me free auto washes and paint protectant spray when I go in; they even endorsed the idea of lowering the car with Eibach springs, as long as I have them install them. Still, they may groan about this one... anyone have success stories to share?