Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Coilovers, which ones should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
CUSCO Zero-1.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally posted by Imprezer
CUSCO Zero-1.

word.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:20 AM

those are expensive... i was quoted at 1800 w/pillow ball mounts. I'm actually trying to get the Tein FLEX for my car because i plan on taking it to the track once a month, but since you aren't going to the track check out www.tein.com look for the Tein Basic or the Tein SS.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:02 AM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
i have tein flex and i like how they handle also have edfc so because i am lazy, that helps a lot
Old 01-16-2004, 03:23 AM

Car Info: JDM Ver 7
I have a set of HKS Hyper D's for GC8. Used for about 8000km's. No leaks. If you're interested, I'll send you pics. They're really stiff though. Don't think you'd like them on a daily driver.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:09 AM

Car Info: '01 RS BRP
JIC flta1us. It's their new inexpensive coil over setup.

http://www.jic-magic.com/Library/sus...a1susp_app.htm
Old 01-29-2004, 07:37 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
another vote for the cusco zero-1's. You said you want a coilover for daily use, heigh adjustable, no dampening adjustments. This is the perfect coilovers from a great company that makes great parts.

Now if your wanting more adjustability go with the zero2's or another coilover for street use. I just got hks hipermax 2's and love them, got them off a friend that barly used them and it was a great price. Coilovers are the way to go though, i used to have springs/struts and with coilovers its so much more adjustbale and even my coilovers are set stiffer than my old setup the ride quality is a ton better. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:41 AM

Car Info: '05 Saabaru 92x Aero
what about GAB?? I'm running a set on my 01 gc8...only available in japan..must import. These things are insane!! they're straight JDM and all of the fobs know GAB!!!! you know it's good stuff when all of the FOB's know what GAB is!! 4 way/8way adjustability for the dampening...
Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 03 pearl black wrx
Im in the same situation also. Im looking for daily drive coils (entry level) with out shock adj. I narrowed it down to the Cusco zero1's or the Tein basic. The tein basic has a spring rate of 280lbs (front: 5kgf/mm, rear 5kgf/mm)

On the other hand the cusco has spring rates of

GDB: (Front: 7kgf/mm; Rear: 5kgf/mm) which equates too 390 front 279 rear
according to nasioc conversion equation.

so theoretically the teins are softer therefore they offer better ride quality for street use. They cost about 800 less then the cuscos but dont come with the upper mounts?

another thing to i wonder is that the teins have the same springrate rear and front. Does that seem right, for some reason i always though the front and rear vary in spring rate to achieve probably a better balance b/t the front and rear weight distribution.

If thats the case then, the cuscos may be better in performance aspect. yet still offer some of the comforts. Can anyone please fill me in, these are my assumptions from trying to think logically.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 White STi Hatch
Red face

I heard that coilover is not a good choice for a daily driver:
1) The ride is usually more harsh than spring and shock
2) The crappy city roads will quickly shorten the coilover's life
3) Expensive $$$$$
4) Coilover requires maintance (rebuilds) == more $$$
5) You don't really need a coilover system if you don't track and autoX
That's what I asked before and heard, and I decide to go with spring and shock combo. Correct me if I am wrong...

If I were you. I would just go with a lower spring with a better shock to go with it.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:18 PM

Coilovers not good for daily driver....
That's not totally true. With a properly valved shock, you can run high spring rates and have a smooth ride. I drive an Audi but run an Ohlins suspension with 600F/700R Hypercoils. The funny thing is that it drives smoother than my H&R Street C/O (395 F/R). Compared to my brothers' JICs, it's night and day. I don't bounce around and it soaks up all the pot holes.

Also, it's adjustable so I soften them for the streets and stiffen for the track/autox. The only thing that I don't like about spring/shock set ups is they're not adjustable/tunable. For Audis, you can't set up the spring rates to counter AWD understeer with lowering springs. I'm sure that's the same thing with Subarus. Also, some struts aren't properly tuned for your car. As in the Bilstein shocks used in the H&Rs, they were slightly stiff. If you valve the shocks right, you shouldn't feel any harshness.

People might not agree with me but a properly valved shock used in either a spring/shock or coilover is really what you need. But I agree, they're expensive. You get what you pay for. I wanted a coilover that's streetable and trackable without the making me **** blood everytime I drive down the road. Do your homework and get what you want.

Originally Posted by broom_dude
I heard that coilover is not a good choice for a daily driver:
1) The ride is usually more harsh than spring and shock
2) The crappy city roads will quickly shorten the coilover's life
3) Expensive $$$$$
4) Coilover requires maintance (rebuilds) == more $$$
5) You don't really need a coilover system if you don't track and autoX
That's what I asked before and heard, and I decide to go with spring and shock combo. Correct me if I am wrong...

If I were you. I would just go with a lower spring with a better shock to go with it.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
Tein Flex... Great price...great quality...Great ride adjustability...and can be hooked up with the EDFC which is one of the collest things I have seen to date ( besides the new prodrive coilovers that adjust a 1000 times a second but at the cost of 3k give or take).
Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 AM

Car Info: 03 pearl black wrx
can anyone shed light on the assumption i made earlier?

The tein basic has a spring rate of 280lbs (front: 5kgf/mm, rear 5kgf/mm)

On the other hand the cusco has spring rates of

GDB: (Front: 7kgf/mm; Rear: 5kgf/mm) which equates too 390 front 279 rear
according to nasioc conversion equation.

so theoretically the teins are softer therefore they offer better ride quality for street use. They cost about 800 less then the cuscos but dont come with the upper mounts?

another thing to i wonder is that the teins have the same springrate rear and front. Does that seem right? for some reason i always though the front and rear vary in spring rate to achieve probably a better balance b/t the front and rear weight distribution.

I keep hearing contridicting opinions on the tein flex. I read that one guy said they are really stiff and changing the settings doesnt help much in comfort. Cyrus would you have any first hand experience with the flex

Also, n.d why would you suppose that your setup had better ridequality in comparison toyour brothers set up that had softer springs. Gracias

Quick Reply: Coilovers, which ones should i get?